Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 1:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
(July 15, 2023 at 8:05 am)Loaded dice Wrote: Go ahead, give me one example of something you can conceive of, and which is logically impossible to exist at the same time.

Popcorn

I can *conceive of* three positive integers x,y, and z and an integer exponent p>2 with x^p +y^p =z^p. But it has been discovered that such is logically impossible.

I can conceive of a finite field with non-commutative multiplication, but it also known that such is logically impossible.

I can conceive of a Fourier series for a continuous function that diverges everywhere, but, again, it is known to be logically impossible.

I can conceive of an odd perfect number, but *nobody* knows if such are logically possible or not.

I can conceive of a non-trivial zero of the Riemann zeta function that isn't on the critical line. Once again, *nobody* knows if such is logically possible or not.

At least part of the  problem is that the notion of 'conceive' is way too vague. How much detail is required to actually have a 'clear conception' of something?

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress. - by polymath257 - July 15, 2023 at 8:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 7596 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  An infinite progress FortyTwo 185 15623 September 13, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Anthropic Principle vs Goddidit Coffee Jesus 39 5651 April 24, 2014 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  "The Judeo-Christian God Is Infinite"-Einstein michaelsherlock 7 3092 April 13, 2012 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Phil