Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 3:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
(July 22, 2023 at 6:52 am)Nishant Xavier Wrote: Ok. So, while, I was away, I was thinking of another way the argument could be formulated: for a Being Bn, if it is contingent, it depends on a prior Being Bn-1. But Bn-1 likewise, if it too is contingent, further depends on Bn-2. And so on and so forth until we come to B1 and B0. Since we are speaking of real beings, there is no B0. Therefore, B1, the First Being, is non-contingent.

But perhaps these words "contingent" and "necessary" don't indicate too much to the average reader, though they are well known in modal logic and other fields. Very well, then, we will use simpler terminology. Let's use temporal/eternal instead. For every Being Bn, if it is temporal, it depends on a prior being in the timeline, Bn-1. Nevertheless, this series cannot go on backward to infinity (will come to why, and the objections raised in a minute), Therefore, at some point we will reach the very beginning of time, and the final temporal being, B2, will have been caused by B1. And B1, the First Being, is thus proven to be a Non-Temporal Being, an Eternal Being, the First Cause of the Universe.

Hence, Axiom I is: B1, i.e., an Eternal First Being exists, owing to whom B2 to Bn, i.e. the Sub-Set or Universe of Temporal Beings, began to exist.

This conclusion is confirmed by Empirical Science. Wikipedia says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borde%E2%8...in_theorem

Quote:"The Borde–Guth–Vilenkin theorem, or the BGV theorem, is a theorem in physical cosmology which deduces that any universe that has, on average, been expanding throughout its history cannot be infinite in the past but must have a past spacetime boundary.

Regards,
Xavier.

This has already been adequately answered. The theorem requires classical spacetime which may not be a valid assumption and Alan Guth disagrees with Vilenkin about the possibility of a past eternal universe.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress. - by Angrboda - July 22, 2023 at 7:32 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 8188 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  An infinite progress FortyTwo 185 16210 September 13, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Anthropic Principle vs Goddidit Coffee Jesus 39 5700 April 24, 2014 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  "The Judeo-Christian God Is Infinite"-Einstein michaelsherlock 7 3104 April 13, 2012 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Phil