Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 2:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
(August 13, 2023 at 5:26 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(August 13, 2023 at 4:10 am)GrandizerII Wrote: If you say so. But the irony regarding your brief (and not exactly substantive) replies is not lost on me.

I did say before that it is nonsense (soundbites) and if you can not see it yourself then there is something else going on. Like, what exactly are you doing here? You claim to be an atheist and yet topic after topic you are trying to show us how theist arguments make sense. So if you think that theist arguments for the existence of god are not a failure then how are you an atheist? And if you think that they are a failure but are arguing the opposite, then you are just trolling.

What I'm trying to get from you is how is it nonsense? You can't just resort to brief dismissals and ad hominem and think that invalidates whatever argument I may be making.

Also, are you ok? Is it a problem if I want to be as objective as I can get with these arguments, and try not to let my biases get the better of me? Maybe I don't think in terms of black or white when it comes to arguments for God, and maybe I see sometimes that people misunderstand some of these arguments, and I have this urge to want to elaborate on how they should be understood?

Maybe it's a you problem? Even recently, I have critiqued arguments for God made by theists, including in this thread. If I want to encourage atheists to steelman arguments for God, it doesn't mean therefore I think the arguments are sound or persuasive. I do believe that some of these arguments, when worded properly, can be logical, however (as long as you don't get into the realm of clear nonsense, of course).

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress. - by GrandizerII - August 13, 2023 at 5:39 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 10011 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Silver
  An infinite progress FortyTwo 185 19416 September 13, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Anthropic Principle vs Goddidit Coffee Jesus 39 6417 April 24, 2014 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  "The Judeo-Christian God Is Infinite"-Einstein michaelsherlock 7 3260 April 13, 2012 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Phil