Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 8:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress.
(August 13, 2023 at 8:21 am)LinuxGal Wrote:
(August 13, 2023 at 7:59 am)GrandizerII Wrote: In a way, MWI is evidence-based. According to some cosmologists/astrophysicists, it is the best explanation of the observations at hand. It's certainly not emotion-based.

You are conflating the multiverse with many worlds.  I blame Marvel / Disney.

I'm talking exactly about the MWI of quantum mechanics. And MW is a form of multiverse.

Quote:Many worlds simply asserts the universal wavefunction has components that evolve into non-overlapping regions of phase space (via decoherence), where, for example, Erwin's poor cat is dead and Erwin sees she's dead, and another trajectory where the cat is alive and Erwin sees she's alive.

Yes, parallel worlds. How is this not a multiverse?

Quote:Among many problems with that, the biggest one involves the conservation of energy.  If both branches are real, then you've manufactured energy from the void.

Maybe, can't say I'm qualified to address this one.

Quote:The next biggest problem is how to recover the Born rule.  Suppose the wavefunction yields a probability of 0.7 for spin up and 0.3 for spin down.  In every measurement, the universe only splits into two branches. one for spin up and one for spin down.  At the end of many such branchings the universe does contain an experimenter who concludes the probability is 0.7 vs. 0.3 but that case will be atypical, do you see?  A random sampling of branches would be overwhelmingly populated with experimenters who concluded the probabilities were 0.5 and 0.5.

Again, I don't know all the intricate details of MWI to address this, but I can have a think about this and get back to you on this later if needed.

But at the moment, I'm more interested in discussing further the question of contingency of the universe, not which interpretation of quantum mechanics is the best account.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Principle of Contingent Causation: The Impossibility of Infinite Regress. - by GrandizerII - August 13, 2023 at 8:55 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 7515 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  An infinite progress FortyTwo 185 15562 September 13, 2021 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Anthropic Principle vs Goddidit Coffee Jesus 39 5639 April 24, 2014 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  "The Judeo-Christian God Is Infinite"-Einstein michaelsherlock 7 3087 April 13, 2012 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Phil