Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 6:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why are we "The Story telling apes?"
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?"
(December 28, 2011 at 8:58 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: mk...some thoughts running around led to these questions..

Who was the first 'Shaman'?

What did they see?

What stories did they spin to explain/ describe what they saw?

How did they maintain their place in the tribe/ family group?

Many of our "stories" are from what is observed in the night sky, knowing people as I do I am wondering just how our 'primitive' legends of what was going on in the 'heavens' above us influenced our current political and religious understanding/ misunderstandings ..today?

Recently I had cause to look up the Myth/ Legend of Mithras. On going outside (to have a cigarette) and looking up I saw the whole "legend" in the night sky with Orion and Taurus there in full view.

Please humour an old lady and I will need the expertise of orogenicman, Minimalist, padraic et al to expand my understanding of ...

Just what the fuck are we telling ourselves!

I was. I was the old man, my tribe was led by a young woman; we were huddled under a tree in the savanna during a thunderstorm. I could read her emotional context clearly:

OK old man. Earn your place. Tell these young' uns a story to calm their fears. Tell them what is this thing I cannot hunt and kill. Tell them that I do not fear by huddling under this tree. Or the next thing in the stew is you, old fool.

So I punt. Goddidit, pound my chest, yell at the heavens; put on a good show. Kids are watching me rather than the lightning. I scream longer than the storm, obviously I frightened the gods off. Go, grampa! Tell us another!

Dontchu remember? Angel
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by KichigaiNeko - December 28, 2011 at 8:58 am
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by The Grand Nudger - December 28, 2011 at 10:00 am
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by KichigaiNeko - December 28, 2011 at 10:35 am
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by The Grand Nudger - December 28, 2011 at 12:42 pm
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by Minimalist - December 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by KichigaiNeko - December 28, 2011 at 12:55 pm
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by KichigaiNeko - December 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by KichigaiNeko - December 28, 2011 at 1:30 pm
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by KichigaiNeko - December 29, 2011 at 4:44 am
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by Anomalocaris - December 28, 2011 at 1:51 pm
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by houseofcantor - December 28, 2011 at 6:23 pm
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by KichigaiNeko - January 5, 2012 at 3:05 am
RE: why are we "The Story telling apes?" - by KichigaiNeko - January 6, 2012 at 8:57 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Human race: A sci-fi story ph445 77 12586 July 27, 2017 at 8:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  raped by vampires in the French Quarter full story mainethinker 156 26643 January 19, 2015 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen