Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Human race: A sci-fi story
The Human race: A sci-fi story
For many people the idea that we are alone in this universe is terrifying, yet it seems inconceivable given the size of the universe. As of now, however, there is no proof that there exists any intelligent life anywhere in the universe. The problem is partly rooted in the indifferentiability of space and time. Say there is intelligent life in a galaxy a billion lightyears away. That was a billion years ago, that civilization is long gone. Regardless of their ability to travel at infinite velocity, they simply do not exist. Place them closer, in Andromeda, 2.5 million years ago, every exobiologist studying the Drake equation places the lifetime of a space-baring civilization at far less than 2.5 million years; they are gone now. At the opposite end of our own galaxy, 150,000 years ago, in all likelihood, gone. Intelligent life capable of faster than light travel has to be in our immediate vicinity, because distance is time, regardless of how fast a ship can travel, the civilization must still exist.

My point is that we are the first civilization in this universe, an outlier. We must consider ourselves an outlier, possibly all life on this planet, but most certainly us, as an intelligent (and I use the term loosely) species. Unlike Star Trek, when we develop Warp Drive, we will not speed our way out into the galaxy and become part of a galactic community. We will speed our way out into an empty void. There will be no one there. We have to accept that we are probably the first civilization to exist in the cosmos, and that along with this comes a great responsibility.

All of these things happen once, here, with us, the first civilization in the cosmos. Back to this place and time in the universe all myth and folklore shall point, back to a people of a wisdom (hopefully) and a time when all of these things did occur, billions of years from now when we are long gone and our sun has long since burned out leaving nothing but a faint nebula perhaps. No one will ever truly be sure where it began. But the best of our wisdom, how many times in how many ways we so cleverly came to nearly destroying ourselves will teach them. The religion in its unadulterated form shall comfort and save them. Our technology shall open the heavens up to them. The ways and means by which we destroyed our environment shall prevent them from doing so in their worlds. Every mistake we made, and every gain we made shall guide them.
RE: The Human race: A sci-fi story
I agree we have no good evidence of other life forms in outside of earth. I am wary of claims that make space travel appear routine. Navigating the uncharted Oort cloud at 100 million miles an hour does not seem possible.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

If we are the ony hope in the cosmos for "intelligence", there is no hope of intelligence in the cosmos.
(July 23, 2017 at 11:29 am)tjakey Wrote: If we are the ony hope in the cosmos for "intelligence", there is no hope of intelligence in the cosmos.

thats why I use the term 'intelligent' loosely
(July 23, 2017 at 10:48 am)ph445 Wrote: [edit] 
All of these things happen once, here, with us, the first civilization in the cosmos. Back to this place and time in the universe all myth and folklore shall point, back to a people of a wisdom (hopefully) and a time when all of these things did occur, billions of years from now when we are long gone and our sun has long since burned out leaving nothing but a faint nebula perhaps. No one will ever truly be sure where it began.But the best of our wisdom, how many times in how many ways we so cleverly came to nearly destroying ourselves will teach them. The religion in its unadulterated form shall comfort and save them. Our technology shall open the heavens up to them. The ways and means by which we destroyed our environment shall prevent them from doing so in their worlds. Every mistake we made, and every gain we made shall guide them.

bold mine 

What myth and folklore? Who is them? Can't be us, we're dead.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 23, 2017 at 11:46 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(July 23, 2017 at 10:48 am)ph445 Wrote: [edit] 
All of these things happen once, here, with us, the first civilization in the cosmos. Back to this place and time in the universe all myth and folklore shall point, back to a people of a wisdom (hopefully) and a time when all of these things did occur, billions of years from now when we are long gone and our sun has long since burned out leaving nothing but a faint nebula perhaps. No one will ever truly be sure where it began.But the best of our wisdom, how many times in how many ways we so cleverly came to nearly destroying ourselves will teach them. The religion in its unadulterated form shall comfort and save them. Our technology shall open the heavens up to them. The ways and means by which we destroyed our environment shall prevent them from doing so in their worlds. Every mistake we made, and every gain we made shall guide them.

bold mine 

Don't worry, this is a sci-fi story after all
(July 23, 2017 at 12:03 pm)ph445 Wrote:
(July 23, 2017 at 11:46 am)mh.brewer Wrote: bold mine 

Don't worry, this is a sci-fi story after all

Oops. OK.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 23, 2017 at 12:08 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(July 23, 2017 at 12:03 pm)ph445 Wrote: Don't worry, this is a sci-fi story after all

Oops. OK.

The jist is we are akin to the beings in prometheous: we will be the 'engineers' who seed life on other planets, and 'them' is those future humanoid descendants of us.
(July 23, 2017 at 11:19 am)chimp3 Wrote: I am wary of claims that make space travel appear routine.

What I kind of find bizarre is that it is usually said that distances between stars are to wide for anyone to travel to the point that between species contact is impossible and yet some and same prominent figures from science are kind of constantly warning us that we should not send signals into space because we don't know who they are and might kill us all for resources like once Christians did to Mesoamericans.
So in one sentence they are telling us it's impossible for anyone to travel between stars and for them to come there, while in other sentence they might come if we signal them.

Like youtube channel Greg and Mitch recently reminded us of the alien scare (in video) of how Stephen Hawking said we should not send signals and Elon Musk said it should be a decision for all humanity.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
"My point is that we are the first civilization in this universe, an outlier. " 200 trillion galaxies in the known universe and you make that claim?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  raped by vampires in the French Quarter full story mainethinker 156 25188 January 19, 2015 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  why are we "The Story telling apes?" KichigaiNeko 17 6819 January 6, 2012 at 8:57 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko