Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 23, 2024, 9:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Invention Of Lying Concept
The Invention Of Lying Concept
The Invention Of Lying movie by Ricky Gervais is interesting to me due to it's concept more than anything. Yes, it shows the typical stupidity of Christianity, but what I find fascinating is how it all began in the first place.

So, in a world where people are incapable of lying, the main character lies to his Mother on her death bed that she is going to a great place after her death where she will be reunited with lost loved ones and surrounded by beautiful scenery in the wonderful world of "heaven"

What's so bad about that? Yes, things get out of hand later in the movie, but looking at just that one scene, what is the harm? We lie all the time for various reasons, and sometimes with good intent, just to make someone feel better, and in this case she is dying anyway, so why not make her feel like it's not really the end....that she has something to look forward to?

My own Mother was Christian, but was aware of my thoughts on religion, and we respected each other (after her initial shock, of course) and she was open to my way of thinking as she entered her 70's. However, as she laid in the hospital bed, in pain and dying, I would have said or done anything to make her feel better, regardless of my own personal views.

What would you do? Have you done anything similar in the past? Share your thoughts on what would be the last lie you ever told a person.
It will all be over soon...

Messages In This Thread
The Invention Of Lying Concept - by Asmodeus - Yesterday at 11:54 am
RE: The Invention Of Lying Concept - by Silver - Yesterday at 12:05 pm
RE: The Invention Of Lying Concept - by Angrboda - Yesterday at 2:44 pm
RE: The Invention Of Lying Concept - by Sheldon - Yesterday at 3:21 pm
RE: The Invention Of Lying Concept - by Silver - Yesterday at 3:33 pm
RE: The Invention Of Lying Concept - by brewer - Yesterday at 3:36 pm
RE: The Invention Of Lying Concept - by Asmodeus - Yesterday at 3:40 pm
RE: The Invention Of Lying Concept - by brewer - Yesterday at 3:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The concept of "selling out" in music - Let's discuss it Dystopia 30 5182 July 20, 2015 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: Regina
  A story concept Lemonvariable72 2 1122 October 3, 2013 at 8:29 am
Last Post: John V
  War of the Dead: A CoH zombie fiction novel concept Creed of Heresy 2 1316 March 29, 2013 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy