Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2026, 2:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Debating with theists.
#16
RE: Debating with theists.
See, the point I think we've all come to here is that we shouldn't feel guilty, yet so many of us do. Is it because we are happy for them? "Ignorance is bliss" and all that? Do we remember those times of being deluded fondly?

...I sure don't! I look on those times and think "oh wow I can't believe I actually bought all that crap..."

To be honest, I've debated with some people who would be considered black-belts. The problem is that they are so sure of their beliefs that they begin to refuse to argue in the realms of reason. Discussions between me and such individuals lapses from a discussion about carbon dating, the dinosaurs, matter-vs-anti-matter, and the "god-gap" (the system of "I don't understand it; must be [the] god[s]!) and go into, basically, "if god is all-powerful then your point is moot, he could easily do this that and the other and could easily bend the fabric of reality because he created it!" Nevermind when I point out that just because I can paint a picture, doesn't mean I can remove and change the paint on the canvas at will and that therefore even a creator is not guaranteed absolute manipulation of reality...or that if god can change anything/everything, why doesn't he just kick Satan's ass and get it over with [especially considering just how vengeful and jealous and angry god always seemed to be; but when it comes to satan, man, he suddenly turns into a real pussy]...nevermind when I bring all that up, they flounder with half-baked ideas and begin grasping at straws; the fact it has to devolve into such uncreative, unoriginal, baseless assumptions is proof-positive of the silliness of theism.

I should stop feeling so guilty, I think. I don't wanna be one of those overly loud atheists who wants to cram it into everyone's faces, but I don't want to stay silent, either. I'm worried that mere gentle nudging will do nothing to open someone's mind to the alternatives, though.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Debating with theists. - by Creed of Heresy - March 16, 2012 at 6:41 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by NoMoreFaith - March 16, 2012 at 6:52 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by Creed of Heresy - March 16, 2012 at 7:02 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by Aegrus - March 16, 2012 at 11:39 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by The Grand Nudger - March 16, 2012 at 12:01 pm
RE: Debating with theists. - by Doubting Thomas - March 16, 2012 at 1:00 pm
RE: Debating with theists. - by frankiej - March 16, 2012 at 1:03 pm
RE: Debating with theists. - by Eyem4Christ - March 17, 2012 at 5:53 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by Nine - March 17, 2012 at 7:33 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by Phil - March 17, 2012 at 6:09 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by KichigaiNeko - March 17, 2012 at 6:35 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by Erinome - March 17, 2012 at 7:25 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by wisdom searcher - March 31, 2012 at 10:07 pm
RE: Debating with theists. - by Minimalist - April 1, 2012 at 2:42 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by KichigaiNeko - March 17, 2012 at 10:15 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by FallentoReason - March 19, 2012 at 4:15 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by mediamogul - March 19, 2012 at 9:24 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by Creed of Heresy - March 19, 2012 at 9:38 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by KichigaiNeko - March 19, 2012 at 9:43 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by picto90 - March 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm
RE: Debating with theists. - by cdabamsworth - April 1, 2012 at 9:40 am
RE: Debating with theists. - by The Grand Nudger - March 31, 2012 at 11:03 pm
RE: Debating with theists. - by padraic - April 1, 2012 at 2:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists, provide your arguments for God. Disagreeable 41 11450 August 9, 2024 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 33171 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists: What is your stance on evolution? Agnostic1 118 32204 March 27, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 41485 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: awty
  If artificial super intelligence erases humans, will theists see this as God's plan? Face2face 24 10917 March 5, 2021 at 6:40 am
Last Post: awty
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 62399 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: awty
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 4055 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: awty
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 94631 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: awty
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 42218 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: awty
  Active theists represent Kitan Etos 10 2595 October 10, 2020 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Fireball



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)