Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 6:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists?
RE: Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists?
(August 10, 2012 at 1:05 am)Categories+Sheaves Wrote: Neat linky, fun exercise. After ~3 run-throughs I managed to get a weaker result
necessarybeing.net Wrote:Congratulations! Your answers appear to have an interesting implication: they imply that you have a (prima facie) reason to think that there is (more likely than not) a Necessary Being.

Which I will consider a small victory for the anti-necessary being crowd.
Modal logic is tricky. Especially with necessary beings eating up all the 'possible' operators Tongue
(August 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: If you can't prove existence itself is necessary how can you hope to prove a being must necessarily exist?
Without the assumption existence is necessary you can't make the claim a being can necessarily exist.
If he proves there is a necessary being, he has proven that something must necessarily exist. It's not like you have to prove A by itself before proving B just because A is a weaker statement than B.
(August 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: That'd be like me saying flight doesn't have to be necessary but someone necessarily needs to fly flies. Claiming the latter must assume the former.
Which is why a proof of the latter also proves the former Big Grin

You cannot prove the latter without first proving the former.
The former acts as a building block for the next claim, the latter does not prove the former. We can prove the former through the latter in the case of flight.
The case of a necessary being depends purely on "logic", there is no empirical evidence for this case at present. Fine, if thats what we're going by then thats what we're going by.
You must logically prove existence is necessary before claiming a being can necessarily exist and I don't think you can. :-)
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do your beliefs imply a Necessary being exists? - by Reforged - August 10, 2012 at 11:59 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God exists subjectively? henryp 90 13128 November 21, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: Tonus
  A Necessary Being? TheMuslim 155 16155 September 10, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Necessary Thing Ignorant 204 21964 April 24, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  God exists because we can imagine it Heat 46 8051 December 6, 2015 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Necessary First Principles, Self-Evident Truths Mudhammam 4 1835 July 10, 2015 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  What do we do while deciding if free will exists? henryp 57 10484 April 20, 2015 at 9:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  can identical twins have different religious beliefs? ignoramus 16 4113 June 25, 2014 at 9:05 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Necessary Truths Exist Rational AKD 57 20767 December 25, 2013 at 6:39 am
Last Post: Rational AKD
  How did the Universe Come to be? (my beliefs) BrumelyKris 24 6915 October 10, 2013 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  think my beliefs have changed again :S what am I now? Jextin 20 4036 June 18, 2013 at 6:41 am
Last Post: LastPoet