Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 6:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat?
RE: are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat?
I'll be honest, when I die, I want to be buried so that nature can devour me. Not because I want to be laid to rest or anything, but just cuz, well, serve some purpose in death. Feed some worms, you know?

Every race has a biological imperative to put itself first before anything else. Same with human beings. We put ourselves first. It's just nature. Eating animals isn't unethical, if we go by the ethics of nature [the only ethics that matter in this case]. Yes, we can choose to eat either plants or animals but plants are living organisms, too. Just cuz it can't yelp when you pluck an apple doesn't mean it's not made of organic, living materials. You start the argument that eating animals is unethical then you slide down the slippery slope to the point that you eventually reach the point where you'll have to starve to death because life comes from death via consumption.

I don't eat that cow, a lion is going to eat it for me. Fuck you, lion, that cow is MINE!

(March 8, 2013 at 9:58 am)genkaus Wrote:
(March 8, 2013 at 9:47 am)Gabriel Syme Wrote: Human beings are omnivores* and so it is not unethical to eat meat.

However, this does not excuse us from the duty to treat animals in a humane fashion, which we should do always.

If it is our duty to treat animals in a humane fashion then it would be unethical to not do so and killing and eating them would definitely be treating them in inhumane fashion. You are contradicting yourself here.

Noooo, he's just being realistic about what the extents of "humane treatment" are. While they live, treat them well, and when you go to kill them [because they're gonna die anyway eventually], do it quickly and cleanly and don't make them suffer. There's no contradiction here unless you're just trying to split hairs, which is just petty and argumentative for the sake of being petty and argumentative.

Messages In This Thread
RE: are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat? - by Creed of Heresy - March 8, 2013 at 11:24 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 3948 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 3256 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Sweet and Ethical Prostitutes AFTT47 27 4849 November 18, 2017 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What will you do? (Ethical dilemma question) ErGingerbreadMandude 91 11933 October 22, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Silver
  Is Human Reproduction Un-Ethical? Brometheus 45 8393 April 6, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Suicide: An Ethical Delimna LivingNumbers6.626 108 18475 December 27, 2014 at 3:26 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Any Vegetarians/Vegans here? là bạn điên 1057 181860 August 13, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: jughead
  Hume's Guillotine sets up an ethical regress problem Coffee Jesus 8 3158 April 13, 2014 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith jstrodel 104 39625 March 15, 2013 at 8:37 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Ethical Philosophy Selector leo-rcc 36 12011 December 30, 2010 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Ubermensch