Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suicide: An Ethical Delimna
Suicide: An Ethical Delimna
What is the logical reasoning and moral angle against suicide?

The only thing I can refute myself with is the probably fact that one day I will be happy and well balanced. But really, that isn't logic is it?

(Disclaimer: I'm not severely suicidal, just someone with some tendencies that come and go and am trying to logically refute my self.)
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Suicide: An Ethical Delimna
You could, perhaps, consider the pain that your suicide would cause others (as we do in many moral considerations). Though I suppose that for a suicidal person this would just add to the pile of reasons to off yourself.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The non-religious moral reason that you shouldn't commit suicide is that it causes pain to your family and relatives left behind.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Suicide is not 'logical'.

There are many reasons for such a mental state and care and understanding should be given to those who are feeling such things.

NOT treating them as pariahs and socially screwing such people over.

Treating such things from ignorance (Which is how such seem to me in the case of Churches) is NOT an answer nor should it be acceptable.

Much cheers to all.
Living and dying are not logical issues. There are logical reasons on both sides of the issue, but these are rooted in arbitrary value judgements. For example, if Earth's environment is important, then both murder and suicide are logical ways to reduce pollution. If maintaining a positive community around you is important, then both those actions are usually immoral, as death is traumatic for those who find the body, or who care about someone, or even who even just know someone (like the clerk you always nod to and say hi in the local market).

I think the desire for suicide is usually delusional. You have negative feelings, and believe that they cannot/will not change. However, the fact is that everything changes, constantly-- and one's outlook and feelings are among the things which are most dynamic.

Also, if you are really on the way out, suicide also represents a deliberate refusal to participate in the greater good. If you are going to remove yourself from the world, why not go help out patients with ebola, or join a volunteer fire-fighting department? Why not volunteer to test a high-risk drug test? Why not pick a few people who are obviously doing harm in the world, and go pay them a visit with 30 pounds of TNT strapped to your chest? There are so many great things one could do with a life that has been deemed discardable, and suicide is pretty close to the bottom of the list. Why say "fuck you" to the world and everyone in it, just because you don't feel like existing in it anymore? THAT is selfish and immoral, IMO.
There's always room for people to jump on grenades in the service. On the plus side, while you wait for the big moment to arrive..you won;t have to wonder whether or not you're delusional, life really is exactly as shitty as you imagine it to be. If you ever start feeling that you might have it wrong, just get an NCO to help shittify your day. One less thing to worry about, right there.
(first in the stack through the door...btw, pretty good way to go out if you want to go)

Angel

disclaimer: we aren't mental health professionals, this place clearly isn't a clinic
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
In identical circumstances, Brian didn't, Clay did, Randy didn't and Ken did. Dave should have, and we all wonder why Ernie did.

Hell if anyone could get a coherent answer from me on the subject.
Sometimes it's just a chemical imbalance in the brain. Sometimes life is really crappy, and just moving somewhere else and starting over is impossible, or at least impractical. Maybe you have a condition that prevents you from living an otherwise normal life, and it's going to cause you to die a painful, bedridden death.

Each case is different, but everyone should have the right to give up. Is it selfish? Maybe. Some believe it's selfish to abort a fetus just because you don't want to be inconvenienced for about nine months, but people have fought for that right.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(November 29, 2014 at 8:36 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: In identical circumstances, Brian didn't, Clay did, Randy didn't and Ken did. Dave should have, and we all wonder why Ernie did.

Hell if anyone could get a coherent answer from me on the subject.

And they were all in love with Dy and drinking from a fountain.

Not wanting to re-rail, but I couldn't resist. Blush

Much cheers to all.
Thank you for those answers.

On the topic of chemical imbalance, it's probable. But if it's probable, medicine should have been the probable remedy, which it wasn't. So that being said, I don't want to enable myself. There are tons of people like me who have committed suicide, and many like me that haven't. But perhaps things aren't so black and white. But just the fact that others deal with what I have and more survive and some have extremely beautiful lives is enough for me to think that regardless of chemical issues in the brain...recovery has to be possible...for anyone.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] An Argument For Ethical Egoism SenseMaker007 29 3202 June 19, 2019 at 6:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2551 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Sweet and Ethical Prostitutes AFTT47 27 4197 November 18, 2017 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What will you do? (Ethical dilemma question) ErGingerbreadMandude 91 10309 October 22, 2017 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  SUICIDE AND MORALITY Edwardo Piet 24 3302 December 13, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Suicide ApeNotKillApe 84 10174 December 9, 2015 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is Human Reproduction Un-Ethical? Brometheus 45 7191 April 6, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Hume's Guillotine sets up an ethical regress problem Coffee Jesus 8 2978 April 13, 2014 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Coffee Jesus
  are vegetarians more ethical by not eating meat? justin 266 75210 May 23, 2013 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  The difference between ethical atheism and nihlism is that ethical atheists have more faith jstrodel 104 36595 March 15, 2013 at 8:37 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01