Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 7:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian?
RE: How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian?
(February 12, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: All educated Christians know this you can read any book about it. Atheists have a stereotypical/distorted view of it and many of their arguments are against that version of Christianity.

'Educated' in this context actually means 'Christians who interpret things the same way I do'.

I interpret the words as they exist on the page. They say what they say. Most of it is not good.

Quote:No-one is getting punished eternally, what happens is sin separates you from God which can result in a state of spiritual torment which will continue after you die. I'm sure everyone will still be able to accept God love\grace even after they die seeing as life continues after the grave but you can do the same thing before that point which is more ideal.

So, it's going to be like it is now? I'm in 'spiritual torment' now? If this is 'spiritual torment', I'm cool with it.

Quote:Some expressions of it are good and some are evil/harmful.

Not doing exactly what God wants is 'evil', is it not? So, why even bother with free will? It's not really free at all.

Quote:No-one is literally burning anywhere, there is going to be some torment/damnation for those beings who have a attained full separation from God but they don't want anything to do with God.

Well, the idea sounded despicable until you told me that fire's not a part of the torment, because it was specifically the idea of fire being involved that made it sound nightmarish, not the idea that revenge torment is what Christ is supposedly saving you from.

Quote:He rewards everyone with the fullness of an eternal life in a relationship of love with him and with a community of beings. Or you can reject the offer and what you end up with is death, though your conscious existence will continue in some form. God can't force anyone to receive the reward but you don't have to do anything specifically to earn it you just have to either accept it and be transformed by it or you don't. Seeing as we have freewill the option is there to tell God to fuck off with his grace.

You know, I don't personally look at "not being punished" as a reward. I don't deserve to be punished. I didn't create me and I didn't design my personality and I don't choose not to believe in something that is obviously nonsense.

Quote:God doesn't desire anyone to suffer but he wants to give us the opportunity of life and advantages of that.

If God didn't desire suffering, suffering wouldn't be a thing. Suffering doesn't exist by accident.

Quote:The good thing you will like to know is God in the Christian sense isn't demanding anything of you instead he is offering you something. In Islam and what have you God does make demands and you have to put on a good performance to earn paradise yourself. In Christianity God says "You are forgiven here you go" and that's your grace there. This is by far the best deal on the table.

"Love me or I will punish you" is a demand.

Quote:You will suffer and die yourself but you also have the opportunity to do some genuine good and experience the incredible universe God has created here, and this can be a fully worthwhile part of your eternal life.

Part of the good that I do is that I don't spread the disease of your death cult.

Quote:You have been saved by Gods grace now stop worrying and enjoy your life. Make sure you work to enable others enjoy their life as well.

And that is Christianity, much better than your bog standard atheism.

Life, for me, has unquestionably been better in almost every way since I discarded your juvenile beliefs. It's a lot harder to enjoy your life when you know that a homicidal psychopathic god is watching everything you do so that he can blackmail you with it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? - by Ryantology - February 13, 2014 at 2:05 am
RE: How can a Christian reject - by Minimalist - February 14, 2014 at 8:46 pm
RE: - by Fake Messiah - October 25, 2016 at 3:23 pm
RE: How can a Christian reject... - by FallentoReason - October 26, 2016 at 12:51 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 2151 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 20082 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44962 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 9111 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1660 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4853 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8941 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5842 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  William Lane Craig's drunken phone call. Jehanne 3 1261 January 13, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 28177 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb