Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 11:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science And The Bible - Introduction
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction
(December 13, 2008 at 11:57 pm)Daystar Wrote: Keeping mind that I have explained to you that I am not at all interested in proving anything to you, your science etc. It isn't my burden it is yours.
. Thats not the burden of proof. Neither of us HAVE to prove anything. What it means that IF anyone has to its you because you are the one who says the bible is true. I say its not true but I don't have to disprove stuff if you give no evidence to disprove. Until you provide proper evidence I don't have to disprove anything. Sure we can BOTH not go about proving anything. But then what are we talking about? How can we really discuss God without getting into the matter of whether any of this is true or not? I'm not interested in discussing it as mere fiction. If however you actually claim its true I am interesting to have a debate on that. And I am open to evidence.

Quote:Keeping that in mind. If I showed you tons of examples where the Bible was proven right by science and archaeology that would impress you to what degree? Not that I think it would be important, just out of curiosity.
What examples? How does any of the 'proofs' you give, give any proof of God or anything supernatural? If it doesn't then whats the point thats just science. I'm all in favor science. Its the idea that there's evidence of the truth of the supernatural that I have problems with. You haven't given me any proof of that. I am open to the proof of that. I'm interested in debating that. I am a de facto atheist but I enjoy discussing religion and God because its an important issue to address. I'm not so interested in just discussing the bible as fiction. I might read it all one day. But there's plenty of other fiction I prefer. Find less outdated and more interesting. And less horror without even meaning to be a 'horror story'. People accept the bible as truth and not fiction and thats one of the problems.

Quote:1. In other words you are just this hapless guy floating around in the universe and criticizing the Bible which you have never read. That is science and that is evidence.
No thats what I'm interested in. And I find religion to be unscientific/anti-scientific and I don't approve of 'faith' because it is not backed up by evidence. If it was it wouldn't need to be called faith. And I find the God question interesting and I am open to evidence. Since you can't disprove God. He's just extremely improbable and has no evidence to back him upTongue Thus far at least. We can't see into the future but I doubt he'll reveal himself considering how improbable he is.

Quote:So if you decided to criticize Newton’s theory of gravity you wouldn’t have to know it at all and it would be up to Newton’s work Principia or those who believe in it to challenge it. The burden of proof would be upon them.
No because it is already proved. So its on me to disprove it. If I thought it was on them they wouldn't have to prove it to me. Because its not on them. They could just tell me where the evidence is or to just read a book about it lol. The point is all the evidence is there if I wanted to look at it. If you can show me some links or source of proof of the bible other than the bible itself - merely proclaiming that it is 'self evident'. Then fine. But simply using the bible as proof of the bible is absurd. its circular reasoning. What I've read of it, the bible appears totally ridiculous. Probably because it was written so long ago! If you're asking me to read the whole damned bible then...lets talk about something else. Because I consider it a waste of time. There is no evidence in there that supports God at all that I've read so far. Its not like I've never read any of it. If there was surely you could just provide one quote or something or do it in bits since we're discussing it. Just like someone giving me a map of the world to show me where a country I haven't heard of is. So far any evidence you have supposedly give is false. So the point is if we are going to talk about the bible or the existence of God. If either of us are going to have to give proof its you. The burden of proof is on the believer not the atheist.

Quote:2. The default position is non-proof. Never mind that either the Bible or Principia had already made their position of truth known you were just too lazy or indoctrinated with your own thing to have bothered with it. I have to show you.
You don't HAVE to. But if either of us should show it should be you. Because thats the burden of proof. If not then what are we talking about? If you say the bible is truth or that God exists then you have to give evidence of that. The burden of proof is on you.

Quote:3. So . . . Until the Atheists such as yourself actually get around to doing anything other than making baseless claims of complete ignorance about the Bible and their own disbelief regarding said works it is up to me to ‘prove’ their respective truths to you, who are not going to believe anything I say because it doesn’t fit in with their lobotomized and similar unproven theory of evolution which you also know almost next to nothing about.
Once again you don't have to prove the bible or God. But I certainly don't have to disprove it. If either of us are going to debate about it you have to prove it.

Quote:Wouldn’t it be easier, EVF, for you to prove evolution to me? That is now my challenge to you. The burden of proof is upon you and oh, I know you won’t take that lightly!

Well … c’mon, then! Lets see you!
Well you have already been shown by ace etc, fossils for example. And if I remember correctly he says he's not an expert on evolution. And I'm certainly not. I only understand the basics. The point is that there are tons and tons of fossils supporting it and the evidence supported by DNA is even stronger. You can even get your DNA sequenced. If I wanted to prove this to you I would. But just as I don't want to read the bible particularly perhaps you don't want to read about evolution? If you've read about it then what do you expect ME to do? The difference is that the bible isn't supported by evidence of its truth. Evolution is. You have to understand what counts as evidence first. And btw the FSM is relevant to this. To say that the truth of the bible is self-evident. That it proves itself. Is like saying the Gospel of the FSM proves its own truth.

If the claims in the bible are true how come there is no evidence of these claims about the supernatural in reality?
Evolution fundamentally as I understand it is basically gene survival and replication. And mutation. I haven't looked into genetic drift really. I'm going to get some Dawkins books on evolution I only have TGD so farSmile
I haven't seen all the fossils in the world, but I haven't ever been to australia but I'm pretty sure that it existsSmile
Besides I have actually seen some fossils in outside books, TV and computers. In real life if thats what you would call itSmile

Quote:Lets save the FSM for later adventures for now.
There's no evidence of the FSM. There's no evidence of God. Do I have to disprove the FSM? Or is the burden of proof for the FSM on someone who claims that it exists?
Likewise, do I have to disprove God? Or is the burden of proof for God on someone who claims that he exists?
If you don't claim that God exists. Or the 'truth' of the bible supporting the supernatural. Then what are we discussing here?

Messages In This Thread
Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 4, 2008 at 3:44 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - December 4, 2008 at 3:54 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by CoxRox - December 4, 2008 at 4:35 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by LukeMC - December 4, 2008 at 4:45 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 4, 2008 at 5:54 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by LukeMC - December 4, 2008 at 6:04 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Kyuuketsuki - December 4, 2008 at 6:10 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 4, 2008 at 10:55 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Kyuuketsuki - December 5, 2008 at 4:50 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 5, 2008 at 11:48 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by leo-rcc - December 5, 2008 at 4:55 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 5, 2008 at 5:20 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by leo-rcc - December 6, 2008 at 8:02 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by LukeMC - December 6, 2008 at 8:03 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 4, 2008 at 6:13 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 4, 2008 at 5:20 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Darwinian - December 4, 2008 at 3:58 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by LukeMC - December 4, 2008 at 4:04 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 4, 2008 at 6:08 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by leo-rcc - December 4, 2008 at 6:13 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by LukeMC - December 4, 2008 at 6:20 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 4, 2008 at 6:27 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by LukeMC - December 4, 2008 at 6:32 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - December 4, 2008 at 4:46 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by LukeMC - December 4, 2008 at 5:25 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by leo-rcc - December 4, 2008 at 6:07 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by leo-rcc - December 4, 2008 at 6:30 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by leo-rcc - December 4, 2008 at 6:34 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by CoxRox - December 4, 2008 at 6:41 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by LukeMC - December 4, 2008 at 6:46 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by leo-rcc - December 4, 2008 at 6:48 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by CoxRox - December 4, 2008 at 6:55 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by LukeMC - December 4, 2008 at 7:04 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - December 4, 2008 at 7:09 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Edwardo Piet - December 4, 2008 at 7:51 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by CoxRox - December 4, 2008 at 7:10 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - December 4, 2008 at 7:55 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by leo-rcc - December 4, 2008 at 7:17 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Edwardo Piet - December 4, 2008 at 8:03 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - December 5, 2008 at 5:55 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Tiberius - December 5, 2008 at 4:42 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by LukeMC - December 5, 2008 at 6:14 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 6, 2008 at 12:19 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by LukeMC - December 6, 2008 at 12:27 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Edwardo Piet - December 6, 2008 at 3:35 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Ace Otana - December 6, 2008 at 4:17 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Edwardo Piet - December 6, 2008 at 9:59 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 9, 2008 at 3:05 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Edwardo Piet - December 9, 2008 at 9:05 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 9, 2008 at 11:39 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - December 10, 2008 at 1:01 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - December 5, 2008 at 9:07 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 6, 2008 at 12:28 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - December 6, 2008 at 5:16 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Ace Otana - December 6, 2008 at 12:21 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Tiberius - December 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Kyuuketsuki - December 12, 2008 at 6:36 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Kyuuketsuki - December 14, 2008 at 8:14 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by DD_8630 - January 7, 2009 at 9:06 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Edwardo Piet - December 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Edwardo Piet - December 10, 2008 at 12:38 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 10, 2008 at 11:47 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Edwardo Piet - December 11, 2008 at 12:50 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 13, 2008 at 8:49 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Edwardo Piet - December 13, 2008 at 8:52 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 13, 2008 at 11:57 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Edwardo Piet - December 14, 2008 at 1:25 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - December 10, 2008 at 12:04 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Tiberius - December 10, 2008 at 12:18 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by leo-rcc - December 10, 2008 at 12:18 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 11, 2008 at 12:07 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by allan175 - December 11, 2008 at 5:54 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 13, 2008 at 9:13 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by allan175 - December 14, 2008 at 7:13 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Purple Rabbit - December 14, 2008 at 7:44 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by allan175 - December 14, 2008 at 7:55 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Kyuuketsuki - December 11, 2008 at 7:25 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 11, 2008 at 12:00 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - December 11, 2008 at 5:32 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Purple Rabbit - December 11, 2008 at 7:28 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by leo-rcc - December 11, 2008 at 2:42 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - December 12, 2008 at 12:25 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Purple Rabbit - December 12, 2008 at 9:22 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - December 12, 2008 at 1:06 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Rob - December 13, 2008 at 9:23 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Daystar - December 13, 2008 at 10:20 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Tiberius - December 13, 2008 at 9:56 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Darwinian - December 14, 2008 at 5:38 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Darwinian - December 14, 2008 at 8:05 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Tiberius - December 14, 2008 at 9:49 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Edwardo Piet - December 14, 2008 at 9:54 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by LondonLoves - January 26, 2009 at 1:31 pm
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by Giff - January 27, 2009 at 5:32 am
RE: Science And The Bible - Introduction - by lukec - January 26, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 39371 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 37747 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7930 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Science and Religion not in direct conflict? maestroanth 26 5341 December 31, 2015 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  On Unbelief I. Introduction Mudhammam 7 2855 December 11, 2014 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Observational Science vs. Historical Science?! Duke Guilmon 8 3408 April 27, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Can Science and religion co-exist? Manowar 42 9208 March 30, 2014 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Science and Religion Tortino 35 8013 October 4, 2013 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Would you be an atheist if science and reason wasn't supportive of atheism? Vincenzo Vinny G. 151 63228 December 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Samson1
  When Faith and Science Clash Reasonable_Jeff 101 29068 September 22, 2012 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman