Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 7:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels
RE: Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels
(March 12, 2014 at 5:46 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote:
(March 12, 2014 at 4:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote: For 25 years I worked with a jewish guy who lived with his mom who kept a kosher kitchen. He hated kosher with a passion. Frequently at lunch he would order Fresh Ham or a bacon and sausage omelet. I would always chide him with "mom ain't going to like that." To which he'd reply "tough shit."

But he did consider himself jewish.

Good on him. I can't really relate except for when I was Catholic and doing the whole "no meat on Friday during Lent" thing. I didn't like it then and thought it was pretty silly, especially since fish was A-OK but eating a cow, chicken, or pig was out. I think any religion prohibiting eating certain foods is just plain ridiculous.

Well, that all has historical merit I suppose, why those meats were out, and fish was acceptable.

The one thing I'll say about fasting, is that while it is a spiritual 'exercise' it can also be very fulfilling, physically, mentally and emotionally. Depriving one's self of anything for a certain time period, and that doesn't have to be food, creates greater temperance, and also it's something that help cleanse the body, physically. So, when I went through the Lent ritual, I thought of it more along those lines. Yes, it's discussed in the Bible, but the reason it took on a spiritual end, was that it is basically a way to grow in temperance through sacrifice.

Of course, I never understood how it could be much of a sacrifice giving up meat on Fridays, and then heading over to a church 'fish fry,' to see everyone gorging on fish, and french fries, or pizza. lol Hmmm...how is this a sacrifice again? :p

Memories!

(March 12, 2014 at 6:36 pm)discipulus Wrote: Beccs and Pickup_shonuff...

Lend me your ears! *clears throat* err...umm....your eyes rather! : /

To Beccs:

You have confidently asserted that anything that requires apologetics is fundamentally flawed.

If this is your view, then according to you, science is fundamentally flawed because people ever since its inception, some scientists and some from other disciplines, have defended it and do defend it through the systematic use of information which is all apologetics is.

So thank you for your insight. Once again you have demonstrated you should not be heeded.

I KNEW you were going to go in this direction with that, well not verbatim.

The key difference of course, in 'defending' a scientific position and that of a religious one, is that religion isn't based on logic and reasoning (no matter how many apologetics are sitting around the table) and science is based on reason and logic. Apologetics, to be specific, lean more towards defending why religion isn't irrational, and why one can apply reason and logic to it. Most of the books I've read, or lectures I've watched over the years where apologetics were the authors/speakers, they were trying to employ logic and reason to why people should logically come to the conclusion that faith/religion makes sense.

But, a lot of mental gymnastics, and twisting of Scripture usually went into it. Science requires no such spin. Apologetics are the quintessential ''spin doctors'' so to speak. Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
RE: Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels - by *Deidre* - March 12, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 7 371 April 10, 2024 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The Gospels and the war in Ukraine. Jehanne 15 2114 April 7, 2022 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why I can't take the Gospels seriously. Jehanne 39 3924 June 18, 2021 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype LetsDebateThings 121 13526 June 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  New WLC debate Jehanne 18 3440 March 28, 2017 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 25586 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An invitation to debate. Jehanne 63 8821 December 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Totally Agree! Minimalist 11 1883 December 22, 2016 at 4:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9940 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Information Catholics VS Protestants Debate Thread Edward John 164 20480 November 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Drich