Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 3:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels
RE: Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels
(March 14, 2014 at 3:18 pm)discipulus Wrote: The Quran claims that Jesus never actually died from His crucifixion. This is flat out incorrect. Not only that, but the Quran claims to be the word for word dictation of God to Muhammad in Arabic. Since God cannot lie, it follows that therefore, the Quran is not the word of God.

So one reason ( I have several ) is that the Quran cannot be the Word of God because it got that (Jesus' death) wrong.
The problem with what you're saying here, is that if we you were a Muslim, you'd be saying the exact opposite. And yet, think YOU have found the one true faith. The one path of enlightenment to God. This is the problem with religion.

It might be more genuine for you to say that everyone sees God in different ways. Even though that is a crock, it has more merit than insisting you have found the one true path, and everyone who follows another religion, is 'wrong.' The truth is, you don't know the truth anymore than me. Anymore than an atheist. Anymore than a muslim. Anymore than anyone. That's the truth of it, discipulus.

(March 14, 2014 at 3:21 pm)discipulus Wrote: And to be charitable, I can grant what you say is true.

But what follows?

That the above necessitates being historical skeptics?

No.

It means we need to endeavor to sift through the propaganda to come to the truth.

No, it means we stop believing everything we read. It means we have standards for truth, and not everything can possibly reach those standards. I'm not saying you don't have standards for truth, I think you do. But, you make an exception for your faith beliefs. You want so badly for your faith beliefs to be based on some type of historical evidence, that you will believe any historian who throws some half-assed 'evidence' your way. :/

(March 14, 2014 at 3:23 pm)discipulus Wrote: Your qualm is with miracles.

If God exists, then He can also do miraculous things.

The question is, does God exist?

*If* ...ah grasshopper. At last you are seeing the light. Big Grin

Quote:What reason do we have to dismiss miracles as impossible?
What reason do you have to accept them, or assume them possible? It's ok to say, 'I don't know how that happened,' if something out of the ordinary takes place. It doesn't mean that a miracle is responsible for it. When people are pronounced dead, and 15 minutes later they come 'back to life,' religious people declare it a miracle. Why? Modern medicine can do a lot these days. And the brain goes through a lot of neuriological transitions when the body starts to shut down. It is only a miracle to people who don't seek answers that are actually out there to answer some of their questions. Instead, they ignore the other possibilities, and leap to 'it must be a miracle.'

And on a spiritual level...does God favor one person over another? Only certain people get to have miracles in their lives? That's kind of sad.

(March 14, 2014 at 4:35 pm)discipulus Wrote: If this is preaching to you then so be it.

I lost a good friend recently, who is Christian, over my choice to leave the faith. My journey if you will, has been underway for some time, but recently, this friend decided we were no longer friends. This is a typical Christian's life. To judge. To preach. To shun ''sinners'', because that's what the Bible teaches...yes?

That is the Christian 'way.' As if you think you are better than Muslims, atheists, agnostics, etc...simply because you believe the stories of the Bible, and we don't. Undecided

Messages In This Thread
RE: Totally NOT a debate about the veracity of the gospels - by *Deidre* - March 14, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of Leonardo17 7 372 April 10, 2024 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The Gospels and the war in Ukraine. Jehanne 15 2116 April 7, 2022 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why I can't take the Gospels seriously. Jehanne 39 3924 June 18, 2021 at 9:34 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype LetsDebateThings 121 13526 June 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  New WLC debate Jehanne 18 3440 March 28, 2017 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 25588 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An invitation to debate. Jehanne 63 8821 December 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Totally Agree! Minimalist 11 1883 December 22, 2016 at 4:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9940 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Information Catholics VS Protestants Debate Thread Edward John 164 20482 November 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Drich