Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 2:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theoretical physics shows "irreducible complexity" arguments invalid.
RE: Theoretical physics shows "irreducible complexity" arguments invalid.
(May 9, 2014 at 11:44 am)rasetsu Wrote:
(May 8, 2014 at 8:19 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: Quantum Entanglement implies complexity is an inherent property of the universe, measured by time. Things get more complex as time goes on (so to speak), therefore "irreducibly complex; i.e. not reducible to the result of natural systems" no longer makes sense according to physics.

Irreducible complexity has always, by definition, appealed to causes that are not currently known, ie. natural causes. To say that natural science rules out irreducible complexity is to argue that only natural causes currently known exist. You're effectively claiming that IC doesn't exist because only natural causes exist, and nothing in your article justifies that conclusion.

So no, quantum entanglement and decoherence do not show "irreducible complexity" arguments invalid.

I seems to come away with the opposite impression of "Irreducible complexity". Irreduciable complexity appear to me to assume the nonexistence of currently unknown natural causes or unanticipated sequences of natural causes. Therefore if complexity appear to be difficult to arise spontaneously thorough anticipated sequences of known natural causes within time frame allowed, it must be difficult to arise through any sequences of any natural causes within the time frame allowed.

Regardless of interpretation of irreducible complexity, it is pertains strictly to classical deterministic physics events operating in a classically individually deterministic world within a very finite time frame. I don't see how quantum mechanics can shed much light on it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theoretical physics shows "irreducible complexity" arguments invalid. - by Anomalocaris - May 9, 2014 at 11:56 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Foucault pendulum in the Kirchhoff Institute for Physics. Jehanne 1 559 January 30, 2022 at 12:06 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Real Life Physics Puzzles onlinebiker 23 2047 July 15, 2019 at 9:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Physics and life Brian37 3 991 December 4, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Questions about Physics, Biology and perspective bennyboy 14 2738 June 23, 2016 at 5:34 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Scientific arguments for eating Organic/non-GMO food? CapnAwesome 15 4199 June 10, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  physics / maths twocompulsive 6 2489 March 13, 2012 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb