Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 3:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Violent video games increase aggression.
RE: Violent video games increase aggression.
(August 8, 2014 at 11:40 am)Napoléon Wrote: Indeed as Insanity said on page 1, getting angry usually has to do with the difficulty of the game, not how violent it is. And it shouldn't even need to be brought up how much the whole 'video games cause violence' bullshit has been debunked.

I read some report recently that explained that the biggest cause of frustration and violence was from bad game mechanics. From personal experience I'd say that's the same for me. If I get beat fair and square I'm fine, if I loose because I got stuck inside a cardboard box or because my character isn't moving intuitively then I'm probably going to be pissed off.

Just found it:

http://www.ibtimes.com/recent-study-find...ce-1569609

Article Wrote:The trial found that games altered to have counter-intuitive, difficult controls that led to feelings of incompetence produced anger and aggression, not the content of the game itself, regardless of how violent it was.

"We focused on the motives of people who play electronic games and found players have a psychological need to come out on top when playing," said Dr Przybylski. "If players feel thwarted by the controls or the design of the game, they can wind up feeling aggressive.”

More or less exactly what I was saying. Nothings worse that feeling out of control in a game.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Violent video games increase aggression. - by Losty - August 8, 2014 at 11:43 am
RE: Violent video games increase aggression. - by Dystopia - August 8, 2014 at 11:16 am
RE: Violent video games increase aggression. - by Diablo - August 8, 2014 at 11:18 am
RE: Violent video games increase aggression. - by Jaysyn - August 8, 2014 at 12:11 pm
RE: Violent video games increase aggression. - by Nine - August 8, 2014 at 12:14 pm
RE: Violent video games increase aggression. - by Esquilax - August 8, 2014 at 11:53 am
RE: Violent video games increase aggression. - by Tonus - August 8, 2014 at 2:40 pm
RE: Violent video games increase aggression. - by LastPoet - August 8, 2014 at 12:44 pm
RE: Violent video games increase aggression. - by Nine - August 9, 2014 at 4:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Older fathers increase odds of sicker babies brewer 3 267 November 1, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Brain Games IATIA 4 2207 February 27, 2015 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan