Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brain Games
Brain Games
I was checking out 'Brain Games' on Netflix. A lot of interesting information. Almost everything we perceive is created by the brain.

Check this out. Be sure to use the full screen mode.

You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: Brain Games
I like that show. It makes you a cynic, watching too many episodes, though. Any time they ask a question before a commercial or set up a test, I always go with the thing you don't think it'll be, even if I don't know why yet.

I like the Monty Hall problem, though, on a recent episode. That's one that gives me a brain boner.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
I love Brain Games, especially any of the episodes that feature optical or mental illusions.
Makes me realize just how easily our brains can be fooled...

Plus, it's the first time I learned "There are no orange kangaroos in Denmark". Wink
Shows like this should be mandatory viewing for all of the religious people that put too much stock in personal experience.

It is a good show, but sometimes it feels like it's trying too hard to find a mass audience. I'd prefer in-depth discussions of the subject matter instead.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I really enjoy this show and it's a cryin' shame that it's 30-minutes long. It's easily a show that could go for an hour on every subject, but, as FNM says, they're going to mass appeal so keeping it short and sweet is probably necessary.

I missed the paranormal episode just recently. Sad about that. Gotta wait until it's on Netflix.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Man completely paralyzed by ALS asks for a beer via brain implant TaraJo 14 1046 March 26, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 995 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Screen time and the preschool brain brewer 8 753 November 6, 2019 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The brain Drich 140 17408 May 15, 2019 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Human brain genes in monkeys popeyespappy 5 514 April 12, 2019 at 5:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Diets according to brain biologist from Russia purplepurpose 10 1793 November 15, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Religion Wires the Brain to Believe Nonsense Devout-Humanist 4 1039 October 17, 2018 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Pedophilia Brain Defect brewer 26 11430 June 8, 2017 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The connection between religion and neuropsychological processes in the human brain Aroura 9 2256 March 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Brain with David Eagleman Mudhammam 4 1453 November 6, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan