Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2024, 3:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientist Makes Organic Matter out of Inorganic Matter
RE: Scientist Makes Organic Matter out of Inorganic Matter
(June 30, 2010 at 3:43 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: I grant that the reality of complex organic molecules forming independently of life is not a direct step to the formation of life; but, if you were as charitable as you are with the idea of 'resurrections' and 'walking on water' which are unsubstantiated, you wouldn't see the connection as too far a 'leap of faith'.

Are you saying that given the reality of complex organic molecules forming independently of life, taking this as an indication that life formed via abiogenesis is a "leap of faith", although not too far a leap? If so, I am surprised that you would say so since most of the atheists I have met here seem to argue vehemently that faith has nothing to do with anything in their worldview. If not, I guess I misunderstood.

It seems to me that whether or not resurrections, walking on water, and/or abiogenesis are much of a leap of faith would depend on your starting point. If one starts from the position that God exists and the Bible is the Word of God (as I do), then resurrections and walking on water is not as much a leap of faith as abiogenesis. On the other hand, if one starts from the position of metaphysical naturalism, positivism, materialism, empiricism, monism, scientism, and a healthy dose of skepticism (as you do), I could see how you could take abiogenesis (or some other naturalistic explanation for the existence of life) as less of a leap of faith then ressurections or walking on water.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scientist Makes Organic Matter out of Inorganic Matter - by rjh4 - June 30, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life After Death Is Impossible, Says Scientist Fake Messiah 121 12750 February 23, 2021 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The return of the the complex organic molecules! ScienceAf 0 539 September 15, 2016 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  GMO vs Organic scoobysnack 66 10597 March 23, 2016 at 7:43 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Religion Makes Children More Selfish ignoramus 1 776 March 23, 2016 at 7:36 am
Last Post: robvalue
  SO THE EVIL EVOLUTIONIST SCIENTIST FIRED MARK H. ARMITAGE FOR DISPROVING OLD EARTH Duke Guilmon 13 7041 July 28, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Duke Guilmon
  at what point did inorganic matter become organic life forms and what caused it? christcahinkilla 56 18074 July 23, 2013 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  This Makes A Lot of Sense Minimalist 5 1556 June 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: ideologue08
  Flying in the face of the organic debate Justtristo 1 1616 April 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Earth and biological matter Quest of knowledge 20 13573 August 27, 2010 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Quest of knowledge