Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2024, 1:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientist Makes Organic Matter out of Inorganic Matter
RE: Scientist Makes Organic Matter out of Inorganic Matter
(June 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: yeah... i would say that the connection I make between a-biological organic chemistry and abiogenesis may be considered a leap of faith but I wouldn't put it in the same category as miracles esp. events written about in the Bible such as walking on water, the resurrection, and a guy getting gobbled up by a fish.

Fair enough.

(June 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: there's a big difference between believing events contradictory to physics and medicine happened 2,000 years ago when knowledge and communication was scarce and believing abiogenesis is consistent with complex organic molecules existing abiologically.

Not if one starts from a position that God exists and the Bible is the Word of God. If you start with a position that God exists, isn't it reasonable to conclude that He could easily do things that are contrary to how we view physics and medicine today?

(June 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: All the philosophies or methods I adhere to are productive, being of great value to our technological advance.

Me too.

(June 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: [b]The only priori I abide by is one should not believe in something for which there is insufficient or no evidence:

Sounds good. But I'm not sure that it really is the case. For example, you say you believe in metaphysical naturalism. According to wiki, this "is a world view and belief system that holds that there is nothing but natural things, forces, and causes of the kind studied by the natural sciences". Then for you to believe in this, there must be some evidence that there is "nothing but natural things, forces, and causes of the kind studied by the natural sciences" because if there is no such evidence or sufficient evidence of this, you should not believe in it according to your own standard.

Furthermore, how do you evaluate any evidence using this priori? Evidence isn't something that has only one possible explanation. For most evidence there are different possible explanations that are contradictory. How does your priori help you decide about where the evidence leads? Metaphysical naturalism would certainly aid in doing this, but then that would be a priori and you deny that it is that for you.

(June 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: What's your priori?

I already told you.

(June 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: I'm glad there are some people that don't limit themselves by "God did it" and continue to investigate possibilities that are relevant to facts (science).

Me too. Just because I believe God exists and that He created the universe doesn't mean that I don't have an interest in science, how things work, and how to apply the knowledge that we have.

(June 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: You believe that the Bible is the word of God? Why? What evidence do you have that a deity is responsible for the Bible?

There are many book written on the subject that are filled with such evidence. I would suggest that you read one if you haven't already. Of course, based on your priori, you must have already read all the books there are that give evidence for such things, otherwise you could not reasonably believe that God does not exist. I do not think there is any evidence that necessitates my position but I also think there is no evidence that necessitates a different position. (I think faith is required not matter what your worldview is.) I have no desire to argue with you about any specific bit of evidence so I will decline to provide more.

(June 30, 2010 at 5:18 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: Actually, the Bible is inerrant and even contradictory: hardly the work of an all-loving, omnipotent deity. You'd think if a deity truly existed that he'd make sure the book that represents it was at least not contradictory.

I disagree. For every potential contradiction, there is a potential explanation. There are plenty of web sites on both sides that deal with these issues. Maybe where you see contradictions, you are understanding it incorrectly.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scientist Makes Organic Matter out of Inorganic Matter - by rjh4 - June 30, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life After Death Is Impossible, Says Scientist Fake Messiah 121 12750 February 23, 2021 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The return of the the complex organic molecules! ScienceAf 0 539 September 15, 2016 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  GMO vs Organic scoobysnack 66 10597 March 23, 2016 at 7:43 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Religion Makes Children More Selfish ignoramus 1 776 March 23, 2016 at 7:36 am
Last Post: robvalue
  SO THE EVIL EVOLUTIONIST SCIENTIST FIRED MARK H. ARMITAGE FOR DISPROVING OLD EARTH Duke Guilmon 13 7041 July 28, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Duke Guilmon
  at what point did inorganic matter become organic life forms and what caused it? christcahinkilla 56 18074 July 23, 2013 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  This Makes A Lot of Sense Minimalist 5 1556 June 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: ideologue08
  Flying in the face of the organic debate Justtristo 1 1616 April 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Earth and biological matter Quest of knowledge 20 13572 August 27, 2010 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Quest of knowledge