Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientist Makes Organic Matter out of Inorganic Matter
RE: Scientist Makes Organic Matter out of Inorganic Matter
(July 2, 2010 at 10:44 am)rjh4 Wrote:
(July 1, 2010 at 4:12 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: But, it really depends on the context of the supernatural occurrence: if a pastor prays in the name of his deity on an amputee and the leg reappears, whether it's supernatural or natural, the phenomena is evidence that belief in that deity has physical affect.

...or merely evidence that the pastor can pull some good parlor trick.

that's an overdose of skepticism: if i were going to go that far, I might as well believe that all of evolutionary biology is a big conspiracy to promote atheism. if prayer was a reproducible cure for amputees, I would reconsider my world view.

Quote:rjh4: (just because some things do have a natural explanation doesn't mean that it is not also evidence of God existing).
the problem is that what there are natural explanations for is contradictory to certain interpretations of the Bible. According to the Bible, God created the stars; however, there is a natural explanation for the stars according to astrophysicists. You'd expect that God created the elements that make us up and all the elements on the periodic table, but there is a natural explanation for the origins of all the elements on the periodic table according to nuclear physicists. You'd think that God created species, esp. our species, but there is an explanation for the origins of species. There may not be an explanation for the origins of life, but our advance in technology has also lead to the superseding of superstitious belief or made the role of a deity vague, so i suspect that just as lighting now is not popularly recognized as an act of a deity but rather a meteorological event, so will life one day be recognized as a natural event.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scientist Makes Organic Matter out of Inorganic Matter - by The_Flying_Skeptic - July 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life After Death Is Impossible, Says Scientist Fake Messiah 121 12750 February 23, 2021 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The return of the the complex organic molecules! ScienceAf 0 539 September 15, 2016 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  GMO vs Organic scoobysnack 66 10597 March 23, 2016 at 7:43 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Religion Makes Children More Selfish ignoramus 1 776 March 23, 2016 at 7:36 am
Last Post: robvalue
  SO THE EVIL EVOLUTIONIST SCIENTIST FIRED MARK H. ARMITAGE FOR DISPROVING OLD EARTH Duke Guilmon 13 7041 July 28, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Duke Guilmon
  at what point did inorganic matter become organic life forms and what caused it? christcahinkilla 56 18074 July 23, 2013 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  This Makes A Lot of Sense Minimalist 5 1556 June 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: ideologue08
  Flying in the face of the organic debate Justtristo 1 1616 April 24, 2013 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Earth and biological matter Quest of knowledge 20 13573 August 27, 2010 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Quest of knowledge