Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 5:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R -E - S - P - E - C - T: Who gets it and who decides?
RE: R -E - S - P - E - C - T: Who gets it and who decides?
(November 16, 2014 at 8:51 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(November 16, 2014 at 8:20 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Theists who understand that faith is not rational and is a choice to believe without evidence elicit more respect in me than theists who insist that their belief is rational.
Why is it that some people tacitly assume that atheism is the rational position and that theism is not? Isn’t that already a slightly disrespectful position from which to start a conversation?

Still ruminating on this. I think I expect a lot less rationality in human affairs than you do. I value it less too. We'll, I do value it so far as it applies and is useful but I don't expect it to apply everywhere. I think you do expect rationality to follow you everywhere and expect more of it from your fellow man. This constantly surprises me because I know about your artwork. Being an artist must mean something different to me than it does to you. I come at it more in the e.e. cummings manner. I guess we just are two different people. I'm fine with that but sometimes I like to probe and look for the core beliefs where we split.

Messages In This Thread
RE: R -E - S - P - E - C - T: Who gets it and who decides? - by Whateverist - November 16, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Posted comments on Youtube gets deleted Ferrocyanide 16 2069 April 19, 2020 at 6:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Columbia, SC gets two atheism billboards Mister Agenda 21 5169 December 6, 2011 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  In which a Fundie gets sexist and Ely gets pissed Eilonnwy 9 2750 December 3, 2009 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Eilonnwy