Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 9:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legislating Morality
RE: Legislating Morality
(July 20, 2010 at 10:40 am)rjh4 Wrote: Paul, I don’t understand how the level of belief in an issue would suddenly make the argument reasonable. On both sides of most issues there are ranges for how people believe about the issue, e.g., dogmatically for the issue, moderately for the issue, moderately against the issue, and dogmatically against the issue. One side wins in congress and a law is passed. No matter which side prevails in the law making, isn’t someone’s dogmatic belief being legislated?

Okay, I see what you're saying. Let me clarify a bit. Let's say that a large number of people (for whatever reasons) feel that abortion is immoral and, so thinking, wish for a law preventing anyone in the country from getting one. Now, even if it is a majority that feels that way, there are going to be those that feel that the choice of whether or not to get an abortion should be up to the individual to decide - and not up to those who wish to legislate their morality upon everyone. If a law is passed banning abortion, one group has forced their morality upon another.

I understand that all laws are the legislation of morality in one way or another, but not everything has such a grey and undefined area of contention that an issue like abortion does. Laws should never infringe upon anyone's personal freedom and right to choose what is moral or immoral to them as an individual. Laws about theft and murder and rape... do not fall into that category, as there is no grey area, so to speak. And the rule of law is necessary to maintain a society.

Another example: Not long ago, the county just south of the one I live in finally repealed a law prohibiting the sale of liquor on Sundays (last one in the state to repeal said law). I, personally, felt such a law was wrong, as it enforced the sanctity (for lack of a better word) of the Christian Sabbath upon everyone in the county... and yes... that is the origin of the law in question. That was a case of legislated morality in the "you shouldn't legislate morality" sense. Why can't I buy liquor on Sunday? What's different about Sunday? To me? Nothing at all... except that some religious people don't think I should be able to buy liquor. If they don't want to buy liquor on Sundays... no one is forcing them to... so why force me not to?

That is what I (personally) mean when I say something like, "Don't legislate your morality upon me."

Messages In This Thread
Legislating Morality - by rjh4 - July 19, 2010 at 3:26 pm
RE: Legislating Morality - by Scented Nectar - July 19, 2010 at 4:02 pm
RE: Legislating Morality - by The Omnissiunt One - July 19, 2010 at 4:35 pm
RE: Legislating Morality - by Paul the Human - July 19, 2010 at 5:00 pm
RE: Legislating Morality - by Minimalist - July 19, 2010 at 7:02 pm
RE: Legislating Morality - by Cego_Colher - July 19, 2010 at 11:08 pm
RE: Legislating Morality - by lrh9 - July 20, 2010 at 2:34 am
RE: Legislating Morality - by rjh4 - July 20, 2010 at 10:40 am
RE: Legislating Morality - by Paul the Human - July 20, 2010 at 1:44 pm
RE: Legislating Morality - by rjh4 - July 20, 2010 at 2:28 pm
RE: Legislating Morality - by Paul the Human - July 20, 2010 at 2:52 pm
RE: Legislating Morality - by rjh4 - July 20, 2010 at 3:29 pm
RE: Legislating Morality - by padraic - July 20, 2010 at 8:13 pm
RE: Legislating Morality - by Eilonnwy - July 23, 2010 at 11:19 am
RE: Legislating Morality - by padraic - July 23, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How important are each of Haight's Five Foundations of Morality to you? Whateverist 30 3514 October 26, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye