Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 11:17 am

Poll: How do Haidt's five moral foundations rank in your own moral experience?
This poll is closed.
1A - "Care/harm" is of the utmost importance and central to my moral experience.
18.37%
9 18.37%
1B - "Care/harm" has some importance in my moral experience but plays a much less central role.
0%
0 0%
1C - "Care/harm" plays a nonstandard or small (if any) role in my moral experience.
0%
0 0%
2A - "Fairness/reciprocity" is of the utmost importance and central to my moral experience.
16.33%
8 16.33%
2B - "Fairness/reciprocity" has some importance in my moral experience but plays a much less central role.
2.04%
1 2.04%
2C - "Fairness/reciprocity" plays a nonstandard or small (if any) role in my moral experience.
0%
0 0%
3A - "Ingroup/loyalty" is of the utmost importance and central to my moral experience.
2.04%
1 2.04%
3B - "Ingroup/loyalty" has some importance in my moral experience but plays a much less central role.
12.24%
6 12.24%
3C - "Ingroup/loyalty" plays a nonstandard or small (if any) role in my moral experience.
4.08%
2 4.08%
4A - "Authority/respect" is of the utmost importance and central to my moral experience.
2.04%
1 2.04%
4B - "Authority/respect" has some importance in my moral experience but plays a much less central role.
10.20%
5 10.20%
4C - "Authority/respect" plays a nonstandard or small (if any) role in my moral experience.
6.12%
3 6.12%
5A - "Purity/sanctity" is of the utmost importance and central to my moral experience.
0%
0 0%
5B - "Purity/sanctity" has some importance in my moral experience but plays a much less central role.
6.12%
3 6.12%
5C - "Purity/sanctity" plays a nonstandard or small (if any) role in my moral experience.
12.24%
6 12.24%
Naturally, fuck the poll maker for making such a hard to look at and hideously complex poll.
8.16%
4 8.16%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How important are each of Haight's Five Foundations of Morality to you?
How important are each of Haight's Five Foundations of Morality to you?
I've made a poll to see how people on these forums self report in terms of Haidt's five foundations of morality.  This will be an ugly poll with a lot questions but the idea is you just rank the importance of each of five categories in terms of their importance within your own morality.  That means you should only choose five boxes, one for each of the categories.  If you would rather rank the five in a comment that would still be interesting.  Naturally it would also be on target to discuss and evaluate what you think of this way of analyzing morality.

For each of Haidt's five foundations of morality please say whether each one is:

A - Of the utmost importance representing a dimension that is central to your moral experience or ..

B - Of some importance or somewhat applicable to your moral experience but possibly not as commonly understood or ..

C - In the lowest tier of importance requiring a real stretch to find any application to your moral experience.

Description of the five moral dimensions.

RE: How important are each of Haight's Five Foundations of Morality to you?
In case you missed it this is the video Jörmungandr shared which discusses the five moral dimensions which inspired this ugly poll.

Hey, it looks like someone chose the exact same options I did. Smile I wonder of this configuration will be a popular one.

1A 2A 3B 4C 5B
Interesting!

I voted A, A, B, B, C.

For three, I dislike tribalism so this is split. For four, I dislike blind obedience and tradition so this is also split. For five, purity and sanctity I find to be empty concepts.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
So for myself only 1 and 2 (Care/harm and Fairness/reciprocity) even seemed to be about morality when I first watched the video and thought about the categories.  But upon further reflection I found I could attach moral relevance to each of the other categories.  So I ranked both of them as most central (A) for my own morality.

I ranked 5 and 3 (Purity/sanctity and Ingroup/loyalty) as moderately relevant in my moral experience (B).  On the face of it Purity/sanctity seems to be about religion.  But then I realized that I do esteem authenticity or genuineness highly and unconsciously at least judge myself and others accordingly.  Holiness would probably be the more standard interpretation but I think the way I'm applying the category works too.

In-group/loyalty is decidedly lower in my esteem as moral values but I don't think I'm devoid of it.  In some ways 5 and 3 are opposed with Purity/sanctity focused on the autonomy of the individual while In-group/loyalty is focused one's submission to the social group.  For me, individual autonomy is far more central and a value I hold much dearer but I do find some application for In-group/loyalty in family and in the work place where I was part of a team.  Marriage is important to me too and I think I owe my partner truthfulness and loyalty.  I also feel a strong bond with one of my brothers and with my stepson where "loyalty" fits.  A more standard application would probably be patriotism but I don't find I value that much at all, the social unit on that level is just too big, diverse and impersonal for me to relate to in this way.

The low man on my moral totem pole is definitely Authority/respect (4), a victim of my generation no doubt.  Nonetheless I can find some teeny bit of application in that I place some value in institutions such as the government, justice system and the military.  To the degree that I value these things I find I owe them my respect.  The thing is the respect is for the office or role, to the individual I give automatically only appreciation.  Where I can see that they take their role seriously and carry it out with excellence and dignity, they too get my respect.  But authority I never grant to a man, only to a role.

I didn't check the last box because I actually like polls.  This one is complex and hard to look at, but it is at least on a topic I'm interested in.
(October 25, 2016 at 10:34 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Hey, it looks like someone chose the exact same options I did. Smile I wonder of this configuration will be a popular one.

1A 2A 3B 4C 5B

Looks like I'm your clone, Pengy.  Like you I put 4 on the lowest rung, you rebel.
(October 25, 2016 at 10:35 am)robvalue Wrote: Interesting!

I voted A, A, B, B, C.

For three, I dislike tribalism so this is split. For four, I dislike blind obedience and tradition so this is also split. For five, purity and sanctity I find to be empty concepts.

I suspect the two we ranked differently, 4 and 5, are owing to interpretation.  I guess I think 3,4 and 5 are all splits.  I wonder what you think of my interpretation of 5 as having to do with authenticity or purity as internal/external consistency?  It sure seems like the category ready made to plunk religion into, but I wonder if you can think of anything else that applies short of holy stuff.
(October 25, 2016 at 10:50 am)Whateverist Wrote:

I didn't check the last box because I actually like polls.  This one is complex and hard to look at, but it is at least on a topic I'm interested in.

I had an inkling it was you. Your expanded thinking on the matter aligns perfectly with my own, as well. That's interesting.

The poll was fine, btw, Wtw. I just thought you were being humorous. It's a very neat poll and on an interesting topic at that. It's easy to navigate and fill out.

I wanted to add about the authority part, still. I couldn't agree more.
By the way, being a public poll, you can see who voted for what just by clicking on "[Show results]" just below the poll at the top of this page.
Too much to brain. I just try to not be a dick Confused

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Defeating Trump is more important than all of us" Foxaèr 44 3649 March 15, 2020 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Pieces of each other WinterHold 2 476 November 24, 2017 at 3:49 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  When Republicunts Attack - Each Other! Minimalist 5 1616 April 27, 2015 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  How important are the mayors of major metropolises in your country? Something completely different 7 2896 September 12, 2013 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  For $190 million each Minimalist 5 1467 September 28, 2012 at 4:04 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  The U.S. Gov't Takes On the Important Issues Once Again Erinome 42 7124 November 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: Captain Scarlet
  Legislating Morality rjh4 is back 14 5975 July 23, 2010 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused