Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 1:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mathematical claims of 'Bible Codes'...is there any truth in the maths?
RE: Mathematical claims of 'Bible Codes'...is there any truth in the maths?
(January 8, 2009 at 8:23 am)CoxRox Wrote: Your suspicions may well be true although from what I've read of the people involved (on both sides) their intentions are sincere if not wrong. It is claimed that Sherman started out with the intention of disproving the codes. Anyway, I'll continue checking these claims. They'll maybe come to nothing again.

The science/math community has pretty much rejected this kind of thing and it is now their (the claimants) problem to literally prove what they "believe". Meanwhile (taking the cynical POV) they continue write articles & books and give interviews etc., these books continue to sell to people who want to believe this stuff, such interviews continue to be of interest to the same, they (the claimants) continue to make money off both and (as I said earlier) I'm inclined to think they are, at best being disingenuous.

Though I wasn't a believer, before I realised I was an atheist, I took the stance that any claim I couldn't personally disprove had potential merit and treated these kind of claims in that fashion and I think that is the kind of stance you're adopting. It was that kind of stance that led me to adopt an almost Pascal's Wager type stance, shoving my personal scepticism aside and take my children to church every other Sunday for a few years ... now think I was wrong (very wrong).

I think you think you're being open-minded in taking the stance you are but, no insult intended, I think you are being just as gullible as I was.

Kyu

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mathematical claims of 'Bible Codes'...is there any truth in the maths? - by Kyuuketsuki - January 8, 2009 at 10:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does maths add up to? MarcusA 7 965 September 21, 2023 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  A mathematical problem I can't seem to get Mathematica to auto solve. highdimensionman 6 1174 May 22, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  simple maths or simple minds? ignoramus 9 1179 April 6, 2021 at 11:25 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Mathematical Genius: Who Are Humanity's Current Mathematical Geniuses? Kernel Sohcahtoa 13 1985 July 12, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  The Mathematical Proof Thread Kernel Sohcahtoa 67 14275 July 6, 2018 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Can God be seen in the maths? Dropship 136 30083 July 17, 2017 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37
Question Maths problem to solve Aractus 24 5153 October 22, 2016 at 6:16 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Maths vs. Music - Tuning and harmony Thumpalumpacus 60 11285 September 13, 2016 at 7:04 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Maths proves 1=0.999.. thus ends in self contradiction shakuntala 11 5972 December 21, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Mathematical proof.. lifesagift 20 6591 September 26, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: lifesagift