Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 5:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
(May 17, 2015 at 6:51 am)abaris Wrote: And that leads me again to the fundamental question of why. Why did they sit down and write about what they heard?

First, I haven't forgotten or ignored your posts.

Second, I notice that you have dropped the "When" from your list of things that I allegedly haven't covered. Woohoo! Progress.

Guess I'll deal with the "Why" now.

1. Jesus instructed the apostles to make disciples of all nations.

Quote:Matthew 28:16-20
16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

2. The authors of the gospels wrote so that others might have an accurate account of the things that were being reported about Jesus.

Quote:Luke 1:1-4
1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled[a] among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. 3 With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

3. The authors wrote so that others might believe that Jesus is the Son of God.

Quote:John 20:24-31
24 Now Thomas (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”  But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.” 26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”

28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

So, why did the authors write the gospels?

1. Because the apostles were commanded to make disciples.
2. Because they wanted to provide an accurate account of Jesus' life.
3. Because they wanted to give others reasons to believe and be saved.

Before His death, Jesus prayed for ALL who would come to believe in Him through the message preached by His apostles:

Quote:John 17:20-23
20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

Writing the gospels was one means of getting that message out to the world.

Quote:You're seriously refering to William Lane Craig? The one with the mail order degree from a non accredited christian university? The one currently residing in a federal institution?

When you make errors like this, which one of us appears to have the greater credibility?

Quote:In 1975 Craig commenced doctoral studies in philosophy at the University of Birmingham, England, writing on the cosmological argument under the direction of John Hick. Out of this study came his first book, The Kalam Cosmological Argument (1979), a defense of the argument he first encountered in Hackett's work. Craig was awarded a post-doctoral fellowship in 1978 from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation to pursue research on the historicity of the resurrection of Jesus under the direction of Wolfhart Pannenberg at the Ludwig-Maximillians-Universität München inGermany. His studies in Munich led to a second doctorate, this one in theology, awarded in 1984 with the publication of his doctoral thesis, "The Historical Argument for the Resurrection of Jesus during the Deist Controversy" (1985).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lane_Craig

(May 17, 2015 at 11:08 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: If I'm reading you correctly, you infer an early date for Luke from two facts, the Pauline references to Luke and Pauline quotation's of Luke.

The first is a non sequitur as Luke-Acts is an anonymous work, the only thing connecting the early references to Luke with the document/s Luke-Acts is the speculations of the early church fathers.  There is no direct evidence that the author of Luke-Acts and the early Luke are one and the same.  That's pure assertion on the part of the church fathers, and as Hitchens' razor states, that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

The second is the assertion that Paul quotes Luke.  However, we have no reason other than your assertion to believe that Luke influenced the writing of Paul, rather than that Paul influenced the writing of Luke.  It is upon this speculation that you rest the entire case for the accuracy of the gospels, namely an early date for their composition.  Regardless of what order you put the composition of the Gospels, it's clear that their influence upon one another is incestuous.  The complexity of the inter-relationships cannot be straightened out by a mere assertion.  If Christians are to be believed, the Pauline documents were influential in the early church.  If that is true, it's not unreasonable to conclude that it influenced the writing of Luke after it.  Indeed, Luke states that he had collected what had been written and said, indicating the material wasn't original to him.  Since the conclusion that the influence ran one direction and not the other (or that both depended on an independent, unnamed source) is nothing more than pure assertion, it is likewise dismissed.

The final point is the appearance to the 500.  I'm not going to say much on this count other than that there is legitimate controversy over whether the passage itself is original to Paul.

If I have missed an argument for the early composition of the Gospels that you feel needs addressing, let me know.  I'm not a bible scholar, but I'm sure someone will rise to the challenge.

There is absolutely no question about the fact that the Luke who wrote Luke-Acts is the same person as the travelling companion of Paul. You may consider the case of the "we" passages in Acts, for example. The author is travelling with Paul - hence he says "we..." instead of merely "Paul...".

Earlier in this thread, I provided all of the scriptural references from Paul to Luke. They influenced each other. So, what?

Neither of them was present at the Last Supper. So, either Luke got his source materials for the words "Do this in remembrance of me" from his own interviews and research (and Paul copied it) or Paul got it from the apostles in Jerusalem during his visits there (and Luke copied Paul).

Either way, the dating material would be very early, and this is something that skeptics cannot allow.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament - by Randy Carson - May 17, 2015 at 11:22 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8941 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6670 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 37723 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 17053 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 10826 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 22846 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7652 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 23148 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Reliability of the creation account robvalue 129 13035 January 20, 2015 at 3:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 7221 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution