Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 7:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
Randy,

I think you need to think about what the word plausible means. For example, how would you rate these events on a scale of one to ten, least to most plausible:

1) I had a cup of coffee this morning.

2) I saw a turkey walking down our suburban street yesterday.

3) I won the lottery several years ago, but I gambled the money away.

4) One of my children is a mathematical genius.

5) I own a cat that can open doors.

6) Someone dug up a grave in the cemetery down the street.

7) I raise flamingos for a living.

8) A duck billed platypus wandered in to my Oregon dining room.

9) I've met Big Foot.

10) My husband died of gun shot wounds three days ago.  Today he visited alive and well and I touched the wounds.

I've placed them in my order.  The first is very plausible.  The second not so much, but far from impossible as I live near a small woods and turkeys do live here.  Someone always wins the lottery and many people do piss the money away. Mathematical geniuses do exist and it is possible that I might have given birth to one.  Cats do some pretty amazing things.  People do dig up graves.  Flamingos exist, but it would be hard to explain how I made a living raising them, though it's within the realm of possibility.  Duck bill platypuses exist, but they are rare and they don't live in Oregon.  Big foot sighting have been revealed as hoaxes so often without anyone actually producing one, that I find the idea that I met one highly implausible. The last is the least plausible of all as it describes an event ordinarily considered impossible.

On that scale  the proposition that Jesus was buried in a shallow grave and dug up by dogs is about a 2 or 3 given that that is what often happened to people who were crucified.  That he was buried in a tomb is about 5 to 7, since the Romans did not ordinarily allow relatives or anyone else to give executed persons a decent burial. That he rose from the dead is a ten.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament - by Jenny A - May 24, 2015 at 11:14 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8941 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6670 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 37721 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 17053 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 10826 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 22845 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7652 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 23148 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Reliability of the creation account robvalue 129 13032 January 20, 2015 at 3:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 7221 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution