Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 3:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
(May 24, 2015 at 7:05 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(May 24, 2015 at 12:41 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Muslim, Jewish, Atheist - makes no difference to me what someone's beliefs are. If they are NOT Christian, then they are forced to explain away the account of the resurrection of Jesus one way or another.

Bullshit. We're not forced to "explain away" a fucking thing.

Not to me. You have to explain the resurrection in some fashion to yourselves.

Quote:It's up to you to convince us if you want us to believe. You really don't get the whole burden of proof thing, do you? So far you've done a shit job. If that gawd of yours actually exists, it bust be epic face-palming at the poor job your doing.

In the sciences, the burden of proof falls to the one proposing a hypothesis. It doesn’t matter what the hypothesis is. If you want to propose that Particle X exists, the burden of proof falls to you. If you want to propose that Particle X does not exist, the burden again falls to you.

Either way, in science the person proposing a hypothesis needs to provide evidence for it by using the scientific method (i.e., making a prediction based on the hypothesis and then seeing whether the prediction is fulfilled when a test is run). Only by doing this can the hypothesis be scientifically established (to the extent that anything can ever be scientifically established).

Most discussions about the existence of God are not scientific ones. They may involve observations about the universe and things that science studies (e.g., order, design, etc.). However, they also involve premises that cannot be verified scientifically. Many of them involve premises of a philosophical nature, and so the discussion of God’s existence is often regarded as a philosophical matter rather than a scientific one.

Who holds the burden of proof in philosophy? As in science, it’s whoever is making a claim. It doesn’t matter whether you’re asserting the existence or non-existence of Plato’s Forms, claiming the truth or falsity of a particular view of epistemology, or asserting that moral judgments are just expressions of emotion or something else. The principle remains the same: The burden is on you to argue for your own claims. Philosophy may use a different method than science, but its assignation of the burden of proof is the same.

Quote:oh, but his infallible church didn't 
Quote:vote that gospel into the cannon so it's not true/doesn't count.

Well, of course. If I could hack your forum account and post that I, SoW, had been visited by an angel and converted to Christianity, etc., would you claim that the post was spurious? Heretical, so to speak? Or what if I came online and claimed that I actually witnessed you responding to an altar call at a tent revival meeting and that the only reason you were denying it is because you were embarrassed to be a Christian? 

Would you want to include those posts in the "canon" of authentic SoW postings here at AF? Or would you "vote" them out?

The early Church evaluated the various epistles and gospels that were circulating and recognized which were inspired and which were not. This is how the canon was formed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament - by Randy Carson - May 24, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 9995 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 7359 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 42032 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 18353 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 12211 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 25148 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 8149 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 26023 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Reliability of the creation account robvalue 129 14376 January 20, 2015 at 3:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 7658 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution