Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 6:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
(May 24, 2015 at 9:34 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(May 24, 2015 at 9:13 pm)Jenny A Wrote: This is where you fail.  Asserting the existence of Plato's forms is a claim and has the burden of proof.  Not being convinced of the existence of those forms is not a claim and has no burden of proof.  

Read the part I highlighted in red, Jenny. Someone asserting that Plato's Forms do not exist has the burden of proof.
Wrong.

Quote:Similarly asserting the existence of god or the resurrection are claims.  Being unconvinced of those claims is not. The reason for this is obvious.  It is not possible to prove a negative, therefore the person asserting the positive claim has the burden of proof.  

(May 24, 2015 at 9:34 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: The point is that atheists make a positive claim that God does not exist.

Wrong again. A negative cannot be proven. I don't claim to have proved one. I only claim that no one has demonstrated any even slightly persuasive evidence that he does. Thus I don't believe in god and am an atheist.

(May 24, 2015 at 9:34 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
Quote:Your suggestion that a person asserting that Plato's forms exist and someone asserting they don't both have the burden of proof is silly.  You have given both sides the burden of proof thus rendering the burden of proof meaningless.

Yes, I have. And it is up to others to evaluate both arguments. It's no different from the science example which you were okay with:

If you want to propose that Particle X exists, the burden of proof falls to you.
If you want to propose that Particle X does not exist, the burden again falls to you.

Nope. Wrong again. Proposing that particle X does not exist is a negative claim and cannot be proven. Therefore the burden of proof is on the person proposing the existence of particle X.

(May 24, 2015 at 9:34 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: If you want to propose that God exists, the burden of proof falls to you.
If you want to propose that God does not exist, the burden of proof again falls to you.

See above. The burden is always on the person making the positive claim.

(May 24, 2015 at 9:34 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: You cannot use science to prove or disprove God. This is why these proofs fall into the domain of philosophy.

You've already said the burden of proof is the same in philosophy as in science. That burden is on the positive claim. Your burden, your colossal failure.

When you find an atheist who thinks he or she can prove the lack of existence of god, let me know. The vast majority of atheists I know simply state that the god claim is unproven. The burden to prove the god claim rests with you. I'm not losing any sleep over it.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament - by Jenny A - May 24, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8913 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6658 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 37626 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 17036 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 10794 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 22774 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7647 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 23013 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Reliability of the creation account robvalue 129 13000 January 20, 2015 at 3:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 7211 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution