Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 11:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
(May 25, 2015 at 12:17 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(May 25, 2015 at 10:39 am)Randy Carson Wrote: Wow. You truly are prescient. Or is it simply that the arguments in favor of Christianity are stock because they have no need of change? Let's go with that.

Third possibility: These arguments have no ability to change because there isn't any new evidence or discoveries that have been unearthed since their formulation and already the greatest Christian minds have spent 2,000 years and all the resources at their disposal so this is the best they can come up with.

Such as it is, this is all you can offer. 

I'm sure if Paul's handkerchief ever did turn up, Christian apologists everywhere would dump these arguments in favor of the hard evidence they now possess. 

Actually, something very much like that has turned up. It's called the Shroud of Turin, and despite the fact that it cannot tell us with certainty that the man on the shroud was Jesus, forensic studies suggest that this man died in a somewhat unusual manner (given that he was crucified) and that these unique details are correspond directly to the accounts of the crucifixion of Jesus.

(And for the high schoolers thinking of jumping in at this point: go and read WHY the carbon-14 dating test performed in 1988 was due to flawed sampling.)

Quote:
Quote:Prove that God is a contradiction and you will have proved that God does not exist.

It depends on which god. The abstract notion of "God" as a creator of the cosmos is too much of an undefined being to disprove. Your god is another matter, precisely because of the paradoxes of its defined nature. If you wish to discuss the resurrection, which is the topic of our discussion, it is impossible to prove that it did NOT happen. That is not my job. You need to prove that it did happen.

Actually, in this thread, I'm arguing for the HRotNT. However, you folks are so eager to prove me wrong that you're falling all over yourselves trying to get to the part where I can't prove God. So, the discussion of burden of proof keeps coming up. I've already said I have it.

But if you REALLY want to accomplish something that will immortalize you forever, prove that God does not exist. A few have tried in this thread and others recently, so it's not like nobody WANTS to do it. It's just that no one has.

Quote:The filling in part is the crux of your arguments from incredulity. You ascribed "swoon theory" to skeptics, for example. You seem to think I'm responsible for explaining to you how Christianity began or how people might have been convinced that Jesus rose from the dead. I am not. Real skeptics don't get as far as discussing "swoon theory" or any other straw skeptic argument that theists like to bat with their wooden swords. We hear you tell a story and await evidence to believe it to be true. 

No, you don't.

As soon as I write a post, I've barely hit the "Post Reply" button before someone is already responding about why I'm wrong. Tongue

And by the way, that's when the Burden of Proof shifts. When evidence is presented, it is on the other party to prove it wrong.

You may not like my evidence. I might be the worst apologist who ever joined this forum. But I have presented evidence. So...

Quote:
Quote:because miracles don't happen ...presupposition much?

And once again, you confuse "skepticism" with "denial". 
I've never seen any reason to believe miracles happen. From the moment I wake to the moment I sleep, the natural universe is all I have ever experienced. All claims of the existence of the supernatural have either been proven not to be true or not proven to be true. Things once explained by the supernatural have since been replaced with natural explanations. Never has a natural explanation been replaced with a proven supernatural one. 
It is therefore within the bounds of rational skepticism to assume we live in a natural universe governed by predictable laws and best understood with science and reason. When you present evidence for miracles, I will consider them. 

Me, too, most days. I think God is like that. But every now and then, God shows up. I'm sorry if you have not had that experience. Maybe you should give him permission to do so. He's generally very conscious of overwhelming your free will by His awesome presence.

And by the way, concerning miracles, if I did have it, would you accept it? No. You have the gospels, and you reject them out of hand. My miracles would get the same treatment. So, don't put yourself forward as some noble, open-minded soul who is just waiting for God. You're not.

Quote:If there is a coherent thought in there, I can't find it. An editing problem, perhaps? Try again.

I meant in that one unintelligible sentence. Read what you typed again and see if you can figure it out. Undecided

(May 25, 2015 at 12:30 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote:
(May 25, 2015 at 11:36 am)Randy Carson Wrote: A couple of points before I move on.
I haven't had a chance to respond yet to your second response as I need to get on the road...

No worries. We all have more going on than this. Take your time.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament - by Randy Carson - May 25, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8968 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6709 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 37898 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 17099 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 10928 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 22940 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7673 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 23421 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Reliability of the creation account robvalue 129 13119 January 20, 2015 at 3:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 7230 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution