Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2026, 2:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Ask a Narcoleptic
#3
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic
(May 31, 2015 at 11:52 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Does it impact your ability to drive a car or operate dangerous machinery?  Are you in danger of falling asleep while using such things?

Good question.  For some narcaleptics, the answer is yes.  My cousin even wears a little neck thing that beeps at her if her chin drops down too far.  For me, the answer so far has been no.  I do not suffer the "sudden" onset of sleep the way some do.  I have a warning period, and I can usually push through it if required, but since I know that can be dangerous anyway, if I feel the warning sleepiness, I just don't do those things.  
Still, I'll never go looking for a job as a truck driver or crane operator.  Tongue

Fortunately, I'm on disability right now which allows me to schedule my life around my need to sleep at weird times of the day.  For instance, sometimes I do my shopping at 6pm, because I needed a nap before I could safely drive.  It can be awkward, but my family is learning to adjust to it. 
 
Back in my 20's, I did drive many times when I shouldn't have in order to get to work on time.  I regret that a lot now, looking back.  I could have easily fallen asleep at the wheel and killed myself or innocent people. 
If I ever do get back to work, I will also get a neck/chin beeping thing, for the safety of everyone around me.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Reply



Messages In This Thread
Ask a Narcoleptic - by Aroura - May 31, 2015 at 11:48 pm
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic - by Pyrrho - May 31, 2015 at 11:52 pm
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic - by Aroura - June 1, 2015 at 12:08 am
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic - by ignoramus - June 1, 2015 at 12:31 am
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic - by Aroura - June 1, 2015 at 1:04 am
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic - by Longhorn - June 1, 2015 at 12:39 am
RE: Ask a Narcoleptic - by Kitan Etos - June 1, 2015 at 1:01 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Ask a firearms enthusiast deleted 41 24246 June 8, 2023 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ask someone completely disillusioned about Americanism. Jackalope 35 21089 March 21, 2022 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Ask a trans. Jehanne 20 14914 January 3, 2022 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Ask an Uber driver. Goosebump 1 4234 January 2, 2022 at 6:01 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Ask a critic T.J. 16 9568 January 2, 2022 at 5:19 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Ask a poor person BrokenQuill92 49 27049 December 9, 2021 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Ask a woman who just turned 50. Divinity 41 22443 November 30, 2021 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Ask a dog mom BrokenQuill92 16 11248 November 30, 2021 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Ask Eleven Kitan Etos 36 21318 June 26, 2021 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Frank Apisa
  [Serious] Ask an American expat Jackalope 12 7909 January 12, 2021 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Jackalope



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)