Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 8:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
(June 3, 2015 at 2:14 am)robvalue Wrote: Yes, I admitted I could be wrong about absolutely everything. It doesn't however mean I update my beliefs every time someone tells me to. They have to provide a good reason. Pointing at the same book, or a particular part of that book, which I've been well aware of my whole life does not constitute a good reason. I've given you every opportunity to convince me, giving you every concession I could reasonably make and I'm afraid you have come up short.

I don't have preconceptions, I simply have the same scepticism as I'd apply to any supernatural God account, as would you if it wasn't your own holy book. I have no agenda or vested interest in continuing to believe it's not true, because I don't care if it's true. That lends me quite a lot of objectivity.

I am reasonably sure you realize this already, but your approach on whether to change your beliefs or not is what I had in mind.  You should have a good reason to change your mind.  Just picking something at random to trust, to change from whatever you believe now, would not be a method likely to get one more accurate beliefs than whatever one already has.

The idea that believing Luke would be a good idea is really funny.  You would have to have amazingly crazy beliefs for Luke to be an improvement over whatever you believe right now.  The kind of beliefs that, if you went around telling others about them, you would likely end up in a mental institution.

I suppose that there is one great advantage to changing to believing Luke, and that is, you will remove all doubt about the accuracy of your beliefs.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament - by Pyrrho - June 3, 2015 at 11:43 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 9107 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6843 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 38291 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 17172 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 11243 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 23155 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7718 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 23592 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Reliability of the creation account robvalue 129 13461 January 20, 2015 at 3:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 7286 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution