Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 6, 2024, 6:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bystander Effect & the Diffusion of Responsibility
RE: The Bystander Effect & the Diffusion of Responsibility
That's interesting, Tibs, and good of you to help her.

My sister, today coincidentally, was walking her dog down to the beach. There's a ramp down to the beach where skaters like to hang out and do their thing. My sister noticed the sprinklers going on either side of the ramp (grrrrr. It was 11:30, high sun, and we're in a MAJOR drought here), and there was a puddle of water in the middle of the ramp. As she was walking down, she noticed one of the skaters slip in the water, and he went flying, landing close to her. She stood over him, asked him if he was ok, and realized his head was in a pool of blood.  She immediately started yelling for someone to call 911 and asking if there were any doctors around. Then, when a doctor got to the scene, she went up the walk and flagged down a police officer and then went back to the scene. She said there were people all around trying to help. Thank goodness, the guy is ok.

I'm not sure if there's a correlation, but I've seen the Bystander Effect happen, and I've also seen situations in which people hop to and get involved, and I think it totally depends on the culture of the location one is in- namely bigger cities where people keep to themselves tend to not want to get involved vs. smaller populations where community is a big thing. I have nothing scientific to back it up; just observations I've made.

Thank you for helping that lady. I wish there were more people like you in the world.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Bystander Effect & the Diffusion of Responsibility - by rexbeccarox - July 15, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicotine has an antagonistic effect on dopamine D2 triggered sexual arousal? Ksa 6 3297 January 7, 2014 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ksa
  The effect of increasing sexualization of women in the media Mystic 37 14867 June 10, 2013 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Gilgamesh
  A Butterfly's Effect thesummerqueen 2 1786 March 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Violet