Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 8:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guitar and Bass players
RE: Guitar and Bass players
(October 29, 2012 at 6:38 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I used to play guitar regularly but I hardly ever do it anymore; I can't find the time.

I know how that is. I think it's rewarding to pick it up when possible, even when life is demanding a lot. Lost sleep can be worth it.

(October 29, 2012 at 8:44 am)FallentoReason Wrote: I've been playing electric guitar since I was nine, so this year that makes it 12 years of playing, but with the last 6 or so being serious about it.

My gear:

Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Standard & American Fender Telecaster Special // One day I will get a Gibson, because that's my last name :p
Pedals: Boss GT-10 multi-fx pedal. // saving up for an entire set up of single pedals...rather costly, but getting there.
Amp: Orange Rockerverb 30 head & Marshall 4x12 1960A vintage cab

I play for two bands at the moment and have an instrumental side project as well. I wish I could show you my work and bands, but unfortunately that means I will not be anonymous anymore, which I would rather be on here. But there you go... I <3 music.

Nice!
I understand the need for anonymity. Can you tell us more about your projects, then?

Also, how is the Orange? I really love their cabs, but I've never experienced anything out of their heads. I hear great things, though. Supposedly, the blues tones are superb, and the rock tones can rival Marshall. Is this true?

(October 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm)frankiej Wrote: Playing guitar is about all I actually do... I iz a blues man, yo. Wink

Cool. Is blues all you do?

(October 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm)cato123 Wrote: I've played guitar for about 15 years. I have a few styles of Ibanez electrics and an Epiphone SG. My style of play is more like a full contact sport; mostly blues based hard rock with a smattering of metal (Cream, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Van Halen, G 'n R, etc).

I haven't touched any of my guitars since February. I bought a bass to support a three piece and found that I really enjoy it. The guitarist is basically a rhythm player which gives me a lot of room in classic rock songs (Doobie Brothers, Cream, Skynyrd, Stones, etc.) to be creative with the lines.

When I practice bass alone I find that I'm attracted to learning more funk and older R&B lines (Brothers Johnson, Duck Dunn, EW&F, some Motown, Stevie Wonder, Bee Gees).

Do you like Motorhead? I'd imagine you would, if you like hard rock, blues, and metal. Unless you are against the punk elements, I don't see why you wouldn't like Motorhead. I can't say I'm big on blues, but I don't mind it either. It depends. I love some of the "psychedelic" stuff, like that from The Doors and The Who. I am also pretty big on Led Zeppelin. However, I couldn't get into Hendrix. I suppose if the melodies are largely overtaken by the blues style, then I get a bit turned off. So, I cannot really enjoy much "pure blues". Concerning Ibanez, what are your experiences and favorites? I own an Ibanez. It's an 80's era star-shaped Destroyer. I plan to put some Dimarzios in it at some point. I really like the RG Prestige line, Sabre series, JEM's, and Satriani's signatures. If I had more money, I'd own some for sure. Playing them in the store was just a blast.

Sounds exciting. How was the transition? I have considered picking up bass at some point. Do you still pick, or have you been using your fingers? There is a wide debate about that. I guess it boils down to preference and the sound you want.

I don't blame you. Funk is probably one of the best genres for bass, if not the best. Old hardcore/later punk (Black Flag, Cro Mags, Dead Kennedys) is actually great for bass too, surprisingly enough. Of course, I am being very stereotypical about all of this.

Messages In This Thread
Guitar and Bass players - by Spectrum - October 29, 2012 at 5:51 am
RE: Guitar and Bass players - by Rev. Rye - October 29, 2012 at 6:38 am
RE: Guitar and Bass players - by FallentoReason - October 29, 2012 at 8:44 am
RE: Guitar and Bass players - by frankiej - October 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm
RE: Guitar and Bass players - by Cato - October 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm
RE: Guitar and Bass players - by Spectrum - October 29, 2012 at 3:09 pm
RE: Guitar and Bass players - by frankiej - October 29, 2012 at 3:11 pm
RE: Guitar and Bass players - by Cato - October 29, 2012 at 4:41 pm
RE: Guitar and Bass players - by Annik - October 29, 2012 at 3:14 pm
RE: Guitar and Bass players - by The Grand Nudger - October 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm
RE: Guitar and Bass players - by Ocato - October 29, 2012 at 7:29 pm
RE: Guitar and Bass players - by FallentoReason - October 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Favorite Synthesizer Ever Versus an Electric Bass Guitar: Edwardo Piet 9 1994 September 25, 2017 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Rainbow me playing some fucking brutal guitar Funt Clap 3 1129 November 24, 2015 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  My Guitar Videos wolf39us 21 4099 July 11, 2014 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: wolf39us
  Best guitar playing you will ever see Napoléon 1 1031 June 27, 2014 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  So I bought a guitar popeyespappy 17 4654 April 6, 2013 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Drum And Bass HeyItsZeus 0 964 June 23, 2011 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: HeyItsZeus
  Santana - Guitar Heaven Paul the Human 0 1211 October 3, 2010 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: Paul the Human
  guitar players? Disinter 20 6303 April 14, 2010 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Pippy