Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 1:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Made in Alexandria: The Origin of the Yahweh Cult
RE: Made in Alexandria: The Origin of the Yahweh Cult
(January 9, 2013 at 9:07 pm)A_Nony_Mouse Wrote: Etc. Before going further lets see if we are on the same page.

1)There are only two candidates to have written the OT. Greek educated people in Alexandria or Greek educated people in Judea.

2)The contents are completely fictional without exception or mental reservation regarding campfire stories or traditions and such. They are fiction in the sense of Buffy the Vampire Slayer not in the sense of Band of Brothers.

3)Whoever created these books did so not earlier than the 2nd c. BC.

Do we agree? Because if we agree there several times in the supporting articles I say it is immaterial if it were actually written in Alexandria. I also point out that "Hebrew" did not exist (no evidence for existence) in the 2nd c. BC and as such Greek or Aramaic are the only candidate languages for the initial version. As there is no sign of an Aramaic that leaves Greek by simplest hypothesis. Is there evidence the simplest is not the most likely?
I get it you're just a Poe atheist.

You've already managed to self-contradicted yourself.

Go and practise falling down. Rolleyes

Facepalm Why don't we start with the first thing I told you. The LXX is not the Jewish Bible. It is substantially different from both the Tanakh and the Christian Old Testament, and I've already pointed this out to you. It contains entire books not found in Hebrew, and it was substantially re-ordered. Plus, there is not a single complete manuscript on Earth (older than contemporary printed critical texts) of the LXX. As I've pointed out to you.

You spew out bullshit as if it's the gospel truth, present no tangible evidence, and then claim that if I can't prove a negative that your point is proven, what utter rubbish.

Secular non-religious contemporary historians don't look at OT Biblical literacy and conclude it was written in Greek. They look for things like loanwords and transliteration to both date the works (as best as possible) and also to establish whether the writing is a translation or original (where the original version is not available). There are several times in the LXX where the meaning of the Hebrew word is clearly unknown in Greek and has been transliterated. This includes words like "behemoth" and "gopher" (as in gopher wood) and many names. You're not a textual critic you have no idea what the fuck that you're talking about buddy.

There are DSS Hebrew scrolls and fragments of scrolls dated to the 2nd century BC (possibly even older still if you go by carbon dating instead of scholarly analysis/textual criticism). Indeed the Great Isaiah Scroll would be 4th century BC if you went by carbon dating. And as you want to ignore all scholarly thought, surely this means you think it dates to the 4th century BC, that's some 200 years before you believe the LXX was written. Also it is the "shorter version" that you claim was written after the LXX. As I said, you are completely self-contradictory.

Let me just ask you one question - do you also deny the Holocaust?

Go and practise falling down.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Made in Alexandria: The Origin of the Yahweh Cult - by Aractus - January 10, 2013 at 7:28 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Origin of April Fools? Goosebump 2 538 April 2, 2023 at 3:41 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Allah/Yahweh/Jesus are like....... Brian37 10 2984 April 23, 2017 at 7:34 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Cult of Alice dyresand 2 1183 April 14, 2015 at 8:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist