Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 6:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ARCHIVED] - The attributes of the Christian God exhibit logical contradictions.
RE: The attributes of the Christian God exhibit logical contradictions.
I find it especially revealing, and perhaps others do as well, that when identifying how a Loaded Question is to be understood and when such is fallacious, my argument cited from and was supported by (i) a peer-reviewed philosophical journal and (ii) an encyclopedic reference that were both directly relevant to and explained the Loaded Question fallacy. You, on the other hand, provided what amounts to your own personal definition that neither cited from nor was supported by any relevant sources whatever; the only source you did cite from was an English dictionary (defining the usage of "preposition" and "prepositional phrase") with neither entry making even the vaguest reference to fallacies, much less the Loaded Question fallacy. I know, because I looked. These irrelevant entries were cited simply as support for your already forgone conclusion. Had you chosen to formulate your argument from sources that relevantly discuss the Loaded Question fallacy, you would have no doubt quickly discovered that your forgone conclusion was in error.

Consider another reference, the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, which describes this fallacy [1] as a question that is framed in a way "that some controversial presupposition is made by the wording of the question." It then provides an example which you can observe if you wish, and then explains how it is a Loaded Question: "[It] unfairly presumes the controversial claim that the policy really is a waste of money. The fallacy of complex question is a form of begging the question." See also the article on "Complex Question" by Lee C. Archie at Lander Univerity. [2] (If you have checked the references I provided, then you know that Complex Question, Loaded Question, and plurium interrogationum all refer to the same thing.) Here are two more references that support my argument, one of which is another peer-reviewed source. Since I have already explained this fallacy twice (first in my Opening Statements and then in my Rebuttal Against Responses), I will not do so again here. I will simply refer you to my previous explanations, plus the four sources I have now cited, and ask you to respond directly to them—and to support your counter-argument with references that specifically address this fallacy.

Why am I directing you two my two previous arguments? Because if you will not directly address the arguments I already raised, what reason do I have to think you would address a third one? So please address the arguments I have raised. If you think I am incorrect, cite with a quotation which part you think is incorrect, explain how it is incorrect, and support your counter-argument with independently verifiable evidence relevant to the Loaded Question fallacy.

Notes:

[1] Dowden, Bradley. "Fallacies: Complex Question." The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. University of Tenessee, Martin, 20 June 2009. Web. Accessed 28 Sep. 2009.
[link]

[2] Archie, Lee C. "Complex Question." Philosophy 103: Introduction to Logic. Lander University, 18 Aug. 2009. Web. Accessed 28 Sep. 2009.
[link]
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)

Messages In This Thread
RE: The attributes of the Christian God exhibit logical contradictions. - by Ryft - September 28, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [ARCHIVED] - A Discussion of the "All-Powerful" Nature of Gods Tiberius 5 4383 October 11, 2009 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Secularone
  [ARCHIVED] - Evidence Vs Faith Edwardo Piet 82 29286 September 20, 2009 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  [ARCHIVED] - God(s), Science & Evidence leo-rcc 2 3909 May 11, 2009 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  [ARCHIVED] - Creation vs. Evolution Ashlyn 70 30289 April 6, 2009 at 4:16 am
Last Post: Darwinian