Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 11:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
digital music downloads
RE: digital music downloads
First, you should specify what you are referring to. iTunes, Amazon and others provide digital music downloads at a cost.

Surely you are referring to piracy.

Stealing and Piracy are not the same thing.

Stealing would involve someone grabbing something off the shelf and walking out with it. Piracy involves copying digital data. The company that is selling the item in question loses nothing. No bandwidth, no boxing, no materials, no physical property.

Now it could be argued that the company would lose sales revenue because the pirate would be unmotivated to puchase the product in question. Unlikely, people who download music do so because they wouldn't have paid for it in the first place!

Being a musician, I understand that bands need to make money too! A band whose music can be spread amongst the community freely gets more recognition than one that stands behind a price tag. If I loved a bands music and they came to my town, you bet your ass I'm paying $60-$100 to go see them at the show!

Many bands wouldn't even be known without Internet pirates.

Messages In This Thread
digital music downloads - by dazzn - May 28, 2013 at 8:33 am
RE: digital music downloads - by wolf39us - May 28, 2013 at 8:51 am
RE: digital music downloads - by dazzn - May 28, 2013 at 10:13 am
RE: digital music downloads - by Rev. Rye - May 28, 2013 at 10:19 am
RE: digital music downloads - by pocaracas - May 28, 2013 at 10:54 am
RE: digital music downloads - by Sal - May 28, 2013 at 8:27 pm
RE: digital music downloads - by Rev. Rye - May 28, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Digital physics FlatAssembler 8 1864 July 28, 2017 at 5:27 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler