Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One thing that makes you doubt your own world view?
RE: One thing that makes you doubt your own world view?
(July 13, 2013 at 5:29 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: This is a question to all people of any beliefs (theists, deists, polytheists, atheists, agnostics, etc). What one thing (could be anything such as a fact of nature, a philosophical dilemma, an experience etc.) makes you question the truthfulness of your own worldview the most? In other words, what's something makes you go "maybe I'm wrong about everything"?

I could be wrong about everything. But why waste time worrying about it? I arrived at the best conclusion I possibly can. There's no more pondering on it, nowhere to go. I've reached my conclusion and there's no point in sitting here and saying, "I could be wrong," if I don't know the true right answer. I could only go backwards from here. There's nothing to controdict my worldview directly.

Quote:Also, how do you explain away such a thing (assuming you have done so already) in your mind so you can comfortably still hold your worldview?

Same point as before: if I can't further my worldview because there's nothing to indicate there's anything past my current worldview, then why waste time wondering if I'm wrong? The only thing I could be wrong about is the existence of God and an afterlife. Of course I could be wrong about that, but I've reached the most sound conclusion possible and there's nothing left to expand on therefore it's a waste of time to tell myself I could be wrong.

Quote:The idea of being able to experience reality completely baffles me and makes me want to explore a supernatural explanation but when I think about it further, appealing to the supernatural to explain consciousness does not seem to explain it any better than a natural one. For now, I just put it my ever growing "I don't know" box and continue on.

I agree, to an extent. I'm checking the "I'm pretty sure from what I know that I'm right but nobody will ever truly know and I accept that" box.

Now, with all that said...Fight Club fucked with my mind a bit.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: One thing that makes you doubt your own world view? - by CleanShavenJesus - July 13, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone own "The Moral Landscape"? robvalue 191 13481 October 18, 2018 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  My own moral + ontological argument. Mystic 37 11151 April 17, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  A contradiction in the liberal view of gender shadow 64 12327 September 18, 2017 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why do we doubt? mcolafson 10 1522 December 20, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Tangra
  If You Could Choose Your Own Desires Edwardo Piet 34 3366 November 12, 2016 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Cynical view of happiness. paulpablo 77 7866 July 10, 2016 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  What if you lived in a world...full of evil plotting Legos Losty 45 5158 June 10, 2016 at 1:58 am
Last Post: c172
  Necessary Thing Ignorant 204 20576 April 24, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Should driverless cars kill their own passengers to save a pedestrian? IATIA 82 11607 November 28, 2015 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Aractus
  My View on Belief vs. Knowledge GrandizerII 29 7360 March 4, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus