Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: August 21, 2019, 11:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone own "The Moral Landscape"?
Does anyone own "The Moral Landscape"?
I knew I'd disagree with the premise of this book based on Harris speaking about it in lectures, but I assumed it would be a generally decent book. Then I listened to the following critique, and if it is at all accurate, this book is complete garbage and it makes me think Harris is some kind of hack in this area.

I was wondering if anyone has a copy, and if so whether they'd be willing to check or comment on some of the numerous glaring problems brought up in the video.

Many thanks!

Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Does anyone own "The Moral Landscape"?
I'm not willing to watch video but if this would be in any way helpful I can say that when I read "Moral Landscape" few years back I found it to be good. Perhaps it would be best to check for yourself?
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.
I own a Ford Mustang.

Does that count?
Sanity adjacent.

Angel

IMGUR 
I don't know how to drive stick shift.

Does that count?
A clear sign of the degradation of the moral compass and the consequent decline of ethics, politeness, and civilization in general is best exemplified by the increasing number of people who don't know how to drive a stick shift.

Boru
'A man is accepted into a church for what he believes.  He is turned out for what he knows.' - Mark Twain
(September 28, 2018 at 3:07 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: A clear sign of the degradation of the moral compass and the consequent decline of ethics, politeness, and civilization in general is best exemplified by the increasing number of people who don't know how to drive a stick shift.

Boru

He shoots!

He scores!
Sanity adjacent.

Angel

IMGUR 
(September 28, 2018 at 2:30 am)Ivan Denisovich Wrote: I'm not willing to watch video but if this would be in any way helpful I can say that when I read "Moral Landscape" few years back I found it to be good. Perhaps it would be best to check for yourself?

Okay cheers. I sure will if I get the chance Smile
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
If I buy the book and start commenting on it, are you going to declare that you've suddenly tired of talking about it and leave the thread? Big Grin

I have to admit that I approached this video with some prejudice-- "Ahhh. . . what dumb things is this goof-off going to say." But agree or disagree, I think it's quite an interesting video. Thanks for the link.
Haha Big Grin

No, Harris doesn't make my blood boil like a certain other dude. I don't know what happened with this book but I don't put it down to dishonesty, at least not yet. I am completely baffled as to what could have gone on for it to be released like this.

I really like this YouTube channel, I listened to various other very insightful videos.

Index of my best videos
From what I gather, he makes a poor argument for a common idea..and fails to avail himself of sources in moral philosophy that would make the same case better.
When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for a battle to commence then KPLOW, I hit em with the illness of my quill, Im endowed..with certain unalienable skills....  

-ERB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moral Oughts Acrobat 91 950 August 8, 2019 at 6:26 am
Last Post: Gae Bolga
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 2171 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  [Serious] An Argument Against Hedonistic Moral Realism SenseMaker007 25 529 June 19, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Gae Bolga
  Is Moral Responsibility Compatible With Determinism? mcc1789 44 833 June 11, 2019 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: SenseMaker007
  The moral argument, for atheism! Jehanne 126 4573 July 21, 2018 at 9:47 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 5375 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  My own moral + ontological argument. MysticKnight 37 7924 April 17, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  The Moral Realism Master Thread. Gae Bolga 10 720 December 10, 2017 at 2:56 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  The Universal Moral Code BlindedWantsToSee 57 3285 November 2, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: BlindedWantsToSee
  A moral situation Fierce 10 1697 May 22, 2017 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13