Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 3:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The richest are the most generous? I think not.
The richest are the most generous? I think not.
And reality doesn't think so, either...nor do the number.

Rich peoples' idea of charity: Giving to elite schools and opera houses.

Quote:What portion of charitable giving actually goes to the poor? The Washington Post’s Dylan Matthews looked into this, and the best he could come up with was a 2005 analysis by Google and Indiana University’s Center for Philanthropy showing that even under the most generous assumptions only about a third of “charitable” donations were targeted to helping the poor.

At a time in our nation’s history when the number of poor Americans continues to rise, when government doesn’t have the money to do what’s needed, and when America’s very rich are richer than ever, this doesn’t seem right.

This kind of puts a hole in the argument-bubble of people who say that people with lots of money often give the greatest quantities to charity. Sure they do...if your definition of "charity" is extremely charitable itself in what it includes.

So less than a third of all charitable donations go towards helping the poor. How much ya wanna bet that most of that third comes from people who DON'T have hundreds of millions to tens of billions to spare?

Opera houses and Harvard...yeah, that's by and large the focus of "charity" by the wealthy.

This also ties into cutting into the Libertarian view that charity from the rich can be a viable means of replacing the services of the government, be it welfare or civic services, depending on who you talk to. The rich already finance themselves as it is.

Messages In This Thread
The richest are the most generous? I think not. - by Creed of Heresy - January 1, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For Those Who Think Xristards Are Not Dangerous Minimalist 12 1189 March 13, 2017 at 10:37 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  One of the most Ethical (and most lied about) political leader Foxaèr 55 5792 July 31, 2016 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Give the richest power and the economy stabilizes. This is good. Greatest I am 23 9475 November 22, 2011 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am