Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 4:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theoretical physics shows "irreducible complexity" arguments invalid.
RE: Theoretical physics shows "irreducible complexity" arguments invalid.
(May 9, 2014 at 11:40 am)Heywood Wrote:
(May 9, 2014 at 11:29 am)Chas Wrote: I have a clearer understanding than you do.

It is obvious that you are disingenuous.

Negative Chas,

You think that IC is an argument for God. It is not.

IC is simply the hypothesis that certain biological systems are too complex to have evolved from simpler, or "less complete" predecessors, through natural selection acting upon a series of advantageous naturally occurring, chance mutations.

Even if God does not exist, IC still can....and in fact does exist(as was trivially easy to show). The fact that human activity was responsible for the known unambiguous examples of IC....doesn't make IC magically go away. I'm afraid you're just going to have deal with it.

IC is here to stay.

Wrong. I simply claim that IC has not been shown to naturally occur.

You keep imputing things to me that I never said. Stop it.

And stop trying to redefine it. Behe invented the term.
Michael Behe Wrote:By irreducibly complex I mean a single system composed of several well-matched, interacting parts that contribute to the basic function, wherein the removal of any one of the parts causes the system to effectively cease functioning. An irreducibly complex system cannot be produced directly (that is, by continuously improving the initial function, which continues to work by the same mechanism) by slight, successive modifications of a precursor system, because any precursor to an irreducibly complex system that is missing a part is by definition nonfunctional. An irreducibly complex biological system, if there is such a thing, would be a powerful challenge to Darwinian evolution.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Theoretical physics shows "irreducible complexity" arguments invalid. - by Chas - May 9, 2014 at 11:51 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Foucault pendulum in the Kirchhoff Institute for Physics. Jehanne 1 546 January 30, 2022 at 12:06 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Real Life Physics Puzzles onlinebiker 23 2041 July 15, 2019 at 9:49 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Physics and life Brian37 3 982 December 4, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Questions about Physics, Biology and perspective bennyboy 14 2725 June 23, 2016 at 5:34 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Scientific arguments for eating Organic/non-GMO food? CapnAwesome 15 4184 June 10, 2015 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  physics / maths twocompulsive 6 2485 March 13, 2012 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb