Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of going back to school...
Thinking of going back to school...
Putting this in the "General Science" forum for reasons I believe will become clear.

A little back story:
I'm an electrical designer working in the mid-stream oil and gas industry. While it's a good paying job with one of the best companies I've ever worked for, I'm having trouble going to work every day. Part of it is burn-out. I've been doing CADD in one shape of form every working day (and a good number of weekend days) of my life since 1993. The other part is the fact that I am contributing directly to destroying the very planet I count on for my very existence. Far more directly than driving a car or buying some petroleum products. I'm helping the bastard tear it out of the ground (fracking) transport it and refine it. Ugh!

The good news:
Colorado State University is starting a new degree program, "Fermentation Science and Technology." When I heard about this my first thought was "what the fuck?" Then I started thinking. Majoring in this, with a business minor, I could open my own micro-brewery. There's huge demand for micro-brews almost anywhere you go in North America and plenty of locations where there are very few/none at all. At the very least I could land a position with Coors, Budweiser or any of the plethora of existing micro-breweries here in the area and do a job that makes people happy instead of one where I'm helping to kill a whole planet.

The (potential) problem:
There's a ton of science required for this degree. It's a little intimidating at my age (well past 40). Lots of chemistry, biology and math. The math doesn't scare me. I've always been good w/numbers. What I know about chemistry and biology (beyond the very broad strokes) you can fit in a thimble. For the most part, I only have myself to blame since I spent a lot of High School stoned out of my mind and asleep in the back of class. Still, I managed to get an AAS in Drafting Technologies in 1993. So, is the chemistry and biology that hard? Am I freaking myself out over nothing? I really want to do this.

Maybe a name change is in my future. GalacticBrewMaster has a nice ring to it. Big Grin
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Messages In This Thread
Thinking of going back to school... - by Ravenshire - June 8, 2014 at 12:04 am
RE: Thinking of going back to school... - by Sejanus - June 8, 2014 at 12:15 am
RE: Thinking of going back to school... - by Angrboda - June 8, 2014 at 10:56 am
RE: Thinking of going back to school... - by Minimalist - June 8, 2014 at 12:03 pm
RE: Thinking of going back to school... - by Cato - June 9, 2014 at 12:50 pm
RE: Thinking of going back to school... - by Ravenshire - June 11, 2014 at 10:09 pm
RE: Thinking of going back to school... - by Ravenshire - June 30, 2014 at 11:11 pm
RE: Thinking of going back to school... - by Dystopia - June 30, 2014 at 11:42 pm
RE: Thinking of going back to school... - by Ravenshire - June 30, 2014 at 11:43 pm
RE: Thinking of going back to school... - by eyemixer - July 4, 2014 at 10:59 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone going to the March for Science in D.C.? Mudhammam 6 972 February 25, 2017 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  What the hell is going on in the Artic? Jehanne 23 3698 November 21, 2016 at 10:11 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  A a 17-year-old high school student fighting a quack little_monkey 13 13735 November 29, 2011 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  We're Finally Going to Confirm It... thesummerqueen 11 2440 October 23, 2011 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Violet
  My High School Expieriment Red_Baron 11 3229 May 12, 2011 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist