Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theocracy
Theocracy
This is from my conversation on BahaiForums, and I have to say I was massively weirded out by it. Basically, a lot of Baha'is there think that a Cataclysm will cause the end of the current international society, after which the Baha'i Administrative World Order will become the new world government that everybody will turn to and everybody will never have any problems or criticisms and hold hangs and sing happy songs to God for all eternity.

This was my reply:

Frankly, I've heard this kind of pseudo-theocratic idealism from Baha'is in real life whom I've discussed this with to be comfortable with it at all. At the crux of the issue is that separation of church and state is a MUST in a government, especially one that purports to rule the entire world.

If a government made of incumbents who are never challenged and never allowed to be challenged believes that they are guided by God, if their citizenry is expected to abide by "religious principles" and never disagree in public, never have a public protest of anything, never truly participate in radically changing anything because God said so, what happens when a few people DO disagree, when they DON'T abide by religious principles, when they DO speak their mind against the Administrative Order? With such a big world, it would only be a question of when, not if.

What would happen under the Baha'i ruled world that people would supposedly "turn to" (and how would that work exactly)? If you ignore the viewpoint of minorities for the sake of the rest of the world, or hoping they go away, then you're ignoring potential problems. If they go to jail for petitioning loudly for a redress of grievances, then it's a dictatorship. Would things really get that bad that people would trade basic constitutional freedoms (speech, press, running for office, etc.) that have withstood the test of time for a worldwide government that makes them all agree, or "pre-reviews" all their books to make sure they don't cause conflict? What then of the "diversity" that is claimed to be protected? The actual possibilities are dystopic at best and nightmarishly dictatorial at best, and is probably why the Baha'i Faith's Administrative Order is better off NOT trying to run the entire world, because the system seems to work better on a smaller scale.

Look at the United States if you will for a moment. Sure, we've been very divided as a nation before. Look at things like the Whiskey Rebellion, the Occupy movement, the Tea Party, the Civil Rights protests and conflicts...and yet we've only had one Civil War whereas other nations that have had one party or dictatorial systems have had multiple. Why is this? Well, paradoxically, I think that inviting diversity and allowing everybody to have their political say, to rabble rouse, to form unions, to install and oust Presidents and Congresses with bitter campaigns, has allowed all of us to come together, to invent, to solve massive problems such as slavery, child labor, and Nazism.

Sure, we're not holding hands all the time and singing Kumbaya, and there's still a lot of work to do and a lot of tough problems to solve, but if you told me that tomorrow world peace could be established, but that everybody would have to give up American-style democracy and trade it for theocracy of this type in order to do so, I'd say no thanks. Because the thing is, world peace as in the absence of conflict will never happen in my opinion. But we can get pretty darn close, and this is how.
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Messages In This Thread
Theocracy - by StealthySkeptic - July 21, 2014 at 3:37 am
RE: Theocracy - by The Grand Nudger - July 21, 2014 at 7:19 am
RE: Theocracy - by StealthySkeptic - July 21, 2014 at 8:08 am
RE: Theocracy - by Dystopia - July 21, 2014 at 8:01 am
RE: Theocracy - by Sen McGlinn - July 22, 2014 at 7:55 am
RE: Theocracy - by The Grand Nudger - July 21, 2014 at 8:46 am
RE: Theocracy - by Dystopia - July 21, 2014 at 8:58 am
RE: Theocracy - by StealthySkeptic - July 21, 2014 at 11:23 am
RE: Theocracy - by Thackerie - August 3, 2014 at 2:07 pm
RE: Theocracy - by StealthySkeptic - August 12, 2014 at 1:13 am
RE: Theocracy - by Angrboda - July 21, 2014 at 11:03 am