Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Christians...Theocracy?
To Christians...Theocracy?
The slavery threads made me curious about how the religious guests on this forum feel about Christian theocracy. I have a lot of questions. Atheists can answer of course but I would really like to hear from some of the religious people who visit this site

If you are a Christian, do you think that a theocracy that used your bible to create its laws would be a good place to live? What about slavery? Can you offer a biblical defense as to why slavery would or would not be allowed in this imaginary theocracy? If slavery would be allowed, under what conditions could one person make another person their property? Would there be freedom of speech in a theocracy? Would a theocracy allow capital punishment and if so how would it be carried out? Would businesses be able to charge interest on loans? Would you personally want to live in a theocracy if your own religion was in charge? Do you think that women would be treated fairly or have the rights that they have now? What version of Christianity would be considered Christian?

A theocracy would be a repressive and dangerous place to live no matter which religion controlled the laws but I am interested in whether some religious people that visit here think. If you are religious, do you think a theocracy would work if your religion was in charge?

If you are a theists and you don't want to answer all my questions, at least respond to this one. If your religion was in control of the government, would you want to live in a theocracy? Why or why not?
RE: To Christians...Theocracy?
Bump. Good topic.
(January 8, 2015 at 2:30 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Bump. Good topic.

Sadly, none of the theists on this site are answering. I'm not certain why they are avoiding this thread.
(January 8, 2015 at 3:02 pm)Nope Wrote:

Sadly, none of the theists on this site are answering. I'm not certain why they are avoiding this thread.

They're scared we'll rip them to shreds, probably.
(January 8, 2015 at 3:07 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote:
(January 8, 2015 at 3:02 pm)Nope Wrote: Sadly, none of the theists on this site are answering. I'm not certain why they are avoiding this thread.

They're scared we'll rip them to shreds, probably.

Pretty much this [Image: -2.png]
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Very interesting question. I'm not surprised there's no takers. I can imagine the carnage in their brains as they attempt to visualise exactly what bible law would look like. Would they give up these great secular laws for totalitarian warmongery?

I think not.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 8, 2015 at 4:03 pm)robvalue Wrote: Very interesting question. I'm not surprised there's no takers. I can imagine the carnage in their brains as they attempt to visualise exactly what bible law would look like. Would they give up these great secular laws for totalitarian warmongery?

I think not.

If they want biblical law the middle east is a good place to start for them. That is what a christian nation would look like.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
We already know that based on his responses on various threads that Drich has some views that most people would find repellent. He hasn't been shy about expressing those views so I am surprised that he hasn't answered this thread.

There are other Christians on this site who are moderate, like strawdog and Fr0d0. I am not certain why they would be afraid to say that they wouldn't want to live in a theocracy. Are they afraid that they might disagree with one another? I have noticed that when one Christian starts in a thread, other religious posters who might disagree with the him make themselves scarce.

To any Christians, my questions weren't meant to trap you. Drich has made some statements that made me curious about how some of you think about certain issues. I like debating so I thought this would be an interesting list of questions.

They sense danger.

[Image: image19.jpg]

Some have jobs, and others have movies to watch.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11031 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Theocracy StealthySkeptic 22 3428 August 12, 2014 at 1:13 am
Last Post: StealthySkeptic