Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Homework or Not to Homework? That is the question.
RE: To Homework or Not to Homework? That is the question.
You can't really expect all kids to "get" an assignment, or have the time management skills and discipline to do it on their own. And, unfortunately, you can't really expect kids to get adequate assistance at home. So homework is likely to drive a wedge of inequality between stable educated families, and those consisting of low-income parents with heavy working hours, single parents, or immigrants who may not even have good enough English to help their kids.

I recommend forgetting about home-WORK, and focusing on home-EXPERIENCE. Engaging the kid in 1-on-1 conversation, asking them to do problem solving (If I had X berries and Y friends, how could I divide them up fairly? What about the extra berries?), and generally teaching your kid to think for him/herself will mean all the difference in the world. Kids pretty much enjoy learning until some boring adult decides to make it a chore.

Messages In This Thread
RE: To Homework or Not to Homework? That is the question. - by bennyboy - September 9, 2014 at 12:45 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 8255 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip
  Ethics Class Homework Assignments: Critiques, Thoughts... Thanks! Mudhammam 6 2633 July 5, 2015 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing? Alex K 204 30638 April 16, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Deceitful - to be or not to be! That is the question! Mystic 30 9209 July 14, 2012 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Polaris