Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question for those who believe truth is not absolute
A question for those who believe truth is not absolute
To those where who believe truth is relative:

When someone throws at you the question "Is it the absolute truth that truth is relative?", how do you respond to that? I have read some attempts on other sites but they seem too complicated for me to understand their point. So explain to me like I'm five, what is unreasonable about the question itself?
RE: A question for those who believe truth is not absolute
It appears to be a contradiction in terms, so that the answer "yes" is paradoxical.

If we answer "yes", we have an absolute truth; but then the claim itself is that truth is relative and not absolute. So the statement cannot be true. It's like the Liar paradox.

This doesn't say anything much about absolute or relative truth, other than their incompatibility within statements.

I do see where you're going, you're saying "it's not absolutely true that truth is relative". But if truth is relative, absolute truth is a meaningless concept and so is irrelevant. Truth could also be some sort of mixture of the two.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It's probably safe to knock out the word absolute or objective from any sentence.
Since we can't prove we're not brains in vats or in a sim, even the words absolute or objective are relative.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 29, 2016 at 7:14 am)robvalue Wrote: It appears to be a contradiction in terms, so that the answer "yes" is paradoxical.

If we answer "yes", we have an absolute truth; but then the claim itself is that truth is relative and not absolute. So the statement cannot be true. It's like the Liar paradox.

This doesn't say anything much about absolute or relative truth, other than their incompatibility within statements.

I do see where you're going, you're saying "it's not absolutely true that truth is relative". But if truth is relative, absolute truth is a meaningless concept and so is irrelevant. Truth could also be some sort of mixture of the two.

Ok, regarding the Liar paradox, perhaps the statement cannot be true because you cannot assert being a consistent liar without contradicting yourself. So, similarly, why is it not the case that one cannot assert truth is consistently relative without contradicting oneself.

And to comment on your second-to-last sentence: "if truth is relative, then absolute truth is meaningless and irrelevant". To be honest, though, I'm still having a really difficult time seeing how this isn't asserting some absolute truth.

How are you looking at truth?

For a while, I've been thinking, perhaps truth isn't a singular thing, but something that we have an infinite amount of, some of them absolute, some relative.
(May 29, 2016 at 7:44 am)ignoramus Wrote: It's probably safe to knock out the word absolute or objective from any sentence.
Since we can't prove we're not brains in vats or in a sim, even the words absolute or objective are relative.

Even if we're brains in vats or whatever, how does this invalidate absolute truths? The truth in this case would be that we are brains in vats. Maybe we're confusing our knowledge/belief of what is true for what is actually true (independently of our beliefs)?
My response, sliding scale yes.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Isn't there only perception of truth?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 29, 2016 at 7:11 am)Irrational Wrote: To those where who believe truth is relative:

When someone throws at you the question "Is it the absolute truth that truth is relative?", how do you respond to that? I have read some attempts on other sites but they seem too complicated for me to understand their point. So explain to me like I'm five, what is unreasonable about the question itself?

Is it true that a pebble is big?  Yes, to an ant.  No, to a person.  It is absolutely true that a pebble is big to an ant, and small to a person.

But when you say, "THE truth," the question is begged and done-- if there is a single truth, an archetypal, capital-T "Truth," it must be absolute.  If there are many truths, then some may be absolute and some relative.  So I'd say that it is an absolute truth that some truths may be relative.

Trying to conflate logical equivocations is like trying to herd cats.  But the real question is this-- should I spend my time trying to herd cats?  Tongue
Q) Is it the absolute truth that truth is relative?
A: Yes, relatively for me it is absolutely true Tongue
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Is truth relative?
Probably.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is The Truth. disobey 81 6486 August 21, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What is truth. deepend 50 2890 March 31, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Truth deepend 130 4552 March 24, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Truth about Ethnicity onlinebiker 41 2606 September 2, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does the head follow the heart in matters of truth? Angrboda 63 8780 March 19, 2018 at 7:42 am
Last Post: John V
  ...Truth? Definitely Disillusioned 93 18817 June 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Is it true that there is no absolute morality? WisdomOfTheTrees 259 24361 March 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Nature Of Truth WisdomOfTheTrees 5 1043 February 21, 2017 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Sal
  Is there objective Truth? Soldat Du Christ 455 46509 November 7, 2016 at 5:39 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Liking your Truth henryp 39 8266 January 4, 2016 at 1:39 am
Last Post: Heat