Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 5:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ed Feser's Aristotelian Proof of the Existence of God
RE: Ed Feser's Aristotelian Proof of the Existence of God
(October 14, 2014 at 7:11 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Let's say I make this logical inference: "The things I experience represent an objective reality." According to you, I must use empiricism in order to validate this idea.

Rather, as an alternative, try something novel -- merely start from the biggest special plea that there is -- namely, that we both accept, from the start, that there is a fundamental shared reality that we both preceive and exist within. Is that a possible starting reference point that you might consider instead?

Once that big special plea is out of the way, the rest of this rather turgid and boring line of reasoning that nitpicks each constituent part of this agreed upon reality as a case of "special pleading"-- like logic, reason, empiricism, inference, the notion of time and the "true" starting point, et al. -- can just be said asside. We agree on the special pleading issue, but due to simple pragmitism, we also accept this line of argumentation doesn't really have much bearing on this discussion.

I agree this is a fascinating philosophical idea (the first time round), but I don't see how, having now been lead to acknowledging reality as just one big, giant special plea, in anyway, makes another special plea -- like a Christian quantity "x" -- worthy of consideration? After all, we aren't talking about two separate views of reality -- a case of "person A who believes reality X" vs "person B who believes in reality Y" but, rather, its the case of "person A who believes in reality X" vs "person B who believes in reality X plus something else" right? Thus, no one is realistically challenging empiricism in this discussion as a fundamental part of our shared reality.

Moreover, If there is some special Christian quantity (x) out there that is entirely immune to empiricism itself, that *quality* would place this 'quantity (X)' into the category of something entirely inconsequential to humanity. If, on the other hand, as Christians claim, such a quantity interacts with us in some way, it would have to leave behind something that would be empirically testable (making it not entirely immune).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ed Feser's Aristotelian Proof of the Existence of God - by HopOnPop - October 14, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 791 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 20698 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1801 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Criticism of Aquinas' First Way or of the Proof of God from Motion. spirit-salamander 75 6992 May 3, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6491 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2948 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8219 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13993 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Berkeley's argument for the existence of God FlatAssembler 130 13680 April 1, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 42833 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist