Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 1:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Criticism of Aquinas' First Way or of the Proof of God from Motion.
Criticism of Aquinas' First Way or of the Proof of God from Motion.
Moderator Notice
Post deleted. Copy/pasting what you have written for a different forum is considered spam. Please familiarize yourself with the rules.
RE: Criticism of Aquinas' First Way or of the Proof of God from Motion.
My god man! What an introductory post!

A bit long, but nice work. Welcome to the forums.
(April 25, 2021 at 6:18 am)spirit-salamander Wrote:
Moderator Notice
Post deleted. Copy/pasting what you have written for a different forum is considered spam. Please familiarize yourself with the rules.

I think that this forum isn't likely to work well for such a careful and detailed discussion. It's not the sort of thing that goes on here. 

If you were to break down one or two of the criticisms as an introduction, there is a chance that conversation might develop from there. For example your idea that there's no reason to think a Prime Mover doesn't itself have to be unmovable is something that I haven't worked on before, and could be a starting place. 

I respect what you're doing and admire the understanding you show of the issues.

Here is a reply I started typing, before you were so rudely interrupted:

Quote:spirit-salamander
Ben Shapiro calmly EDUCATED by Stephen Woodford

It's sad that Aristotle or Aquinas have to be in any way associated with Shapiro, who is terrible.

Quote:"What at first seemed to be a simple proof is in fact a world view in miniature, an image of the world projected onto half a page. Is it a proof of God's existence which, taken by itself, compels assent, quite independent of what we may think of Thomas' metaphysics or the remainder of his System? Definitely not." (Walter Kaufmann - Critique of Religion and Philosophy)

From Shapiro to Kaufmann is from the ridiculous to the sublime.

I'd be interested to see where Kaufmann goes from there. As I understand it, the Five Ways were never intended to be stand-alone proofs, so what Kaufmann says here is true without necessarily being criticism. Each of the ways is a sort of summary of a much larger way of thinking, for which we need many additional arguments. Modern people tend to imagine they're supposed to be persuasive as they stand, which they aren't and weren't intended to be.

But your explication here shows that you know this already, I think, because you are working at the assumptions and conclusions that are required to draw a conclusion, and I respect that.
(April 25, 2021 at 7:07 am)Belacqua Wrote: Modern people tend to imagine they're supposed to be persuasive as they stand, which they aren't and weren't intended to be.

I mean, persuasive in what way? If his conclusions follow-- the argument is sound (which is what I assume Aquinas was going for), then that ought to persuade people.

What do you mean they weren't intended to be persuasive?
Aww, I missed the genius post.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 25, 2021 at 7:51 am)Eleven Wrote: Aww, I missed the genius post.

It wasn't bad. It seemed like a really good and thorough analysis.

But it was way to long for an initial post. And if OP had no plans of entering into a discussion about it here, then yeah... it was spam.
A simple hide tag could have fixed that instead of deleting the entire thing.

I love it when I'm more reasonable than mods.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I was able to refute most of Aquinas' "proofs" of God when I was still in Catholic high school. The few times I attempted to refute them in class, I was basically told to shut up because I was too "...uneducated in theology..." to know what I was talking about.  Doh
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
A long time ago, in a major pizza chain, far far away, a co worker wanted to kick my ass because I critizied Aquinas.

True story. A couple of decades ago, after graduating college, I got a job at a major pizza chain and ran into a co worker who claimed Aquinus predicted Quantum physics. His only argument was, "Aquinus was a smart man.". He kept on getting pissed when I asked him to show the formulas.  I was litterally afraid of him beating me up. 

Specifically, he got pissed that I pointed out that the ancient Greeks were the first to coin the word "atom", but back then, it merely meant "the smallest thing one could emagine". Back in in ancient Greece they thought of "all this" as being a combo of "earth stuff, air stuff, water stuff, and fire stuff". They had no concept of quarks, or protons or neutrons or electrons. They had no concept of the double slit experement. 

Aquinus didn't know shit. But Christians love trying to quote him to try to retrofit science to their club. I constantly try to point out to these types that all religions do this. I cannot name one religion in human history that does not try to retrofit science to justify pointing to their club.
(April 25, 2021 at 8:09 am)Eleven Wrote: A simple hide tag could have fixed that instead of deleting the entire thing.

I love it when I'm more reasonable than mods.

You really are a catty little thing aren't you?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6174 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Plato's Epistemology: Is Faith a Valid Way to Know? vulcanlogician 10 1330 July 2, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Tropes'R'us - do movie tropes influence our way of thinking Alex K 18 2693 February 14, 2017 at 7:48 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is there a right way to romantically connect with others? Kernel Sohcahtoa 32 4324 September 14, 2016 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  2 Birds, 1 Stone: An argument against free will and Aquinas' First Way Mudhammam 1 1148 February 20, 2016 at 8:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is motion like the following? Mudhammam 27 3457 January 9, 2016 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Proof of God Harris 257 52498 May 21, 2015 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Aquinas's Fifth Way Neo-Scholastic 35 6965 November 29, 2014 at 2:44 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Ed Feser's Aristotelian Proof of the Existence of God Dolorian 60 15040 October 28, 2014 at 9:42 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Plato, Aristotle, Aquinas, and Metaphysics InevitableCheese 34 12730 September 15, 2013 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome