Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would we currently be at this point of civilization without religions?
Would we currently be at this point of civilization without religions?
I mean, back then people and nations did unite in the name of some religion, which created a bogged down and dumbed down, yet stable pools for us to meddle with science, philosophy, etc, which of course led us to our current point of civilization.

As much as I hate all the persecutions, suffering, and general nonsense that religions have brought. upon people, and truly believe that pure humanism is the way to go, how can we know for sure that without the existence of the current major religions and its contribution in bringing stability in the past, we would be living in a much better, utopian world? Since our current world is the only empirical evidence we can refer to, saying that "If religions hadn't come to existence, our world would be in a much better state right now." pretty much equals to a theist arguing about the existence of their god without a scientifically proven empirical evidence to support it, right?

Thus, can we say that a "successful" religion might have been a utilitarian, humanist genius' grand tool and creation that was made to bring a much-needed stability in the volatile world of the past? One which the creator knew would bring a lot of mishaps, but will eventually bring goods that outweighs the bads?

Maybe they knew that when people are ready and informed enough, they'll eventually let go of the superstitious nonsenses and ditch the insensible bits of religious teachings anyway.

I actually wrote a short blog post about this earlier, what do you guys think?

Messages In This Thread
Would we currently be at this point of civilization without religions? - by strawberryBacteria - September 19, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it cringy to point out that astrology is fake? Sicnoo0 44 3766 September 30, 2023 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama