Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Is it cringy to point out that astrology is fake?
Is it cringy to point out that astrology is fake?
I really want to know what this meme trying to convey. I interpret the thumbs-up as a way of saying "Wow, cool, good for you pal"
[Image: 362278387_787083479988611_14064872660144...e=64D585B6]

Why are the astrology enthusiasts being so condescending towards the skeptic?

I've seen a lot of people agree with the sentiment that bringing up astrology on a first date is a good litmus test for assessing how closed-minded and judgmental a person is.

Why should anyone be open-minded about astrology? Why humor something that you know is untrue?

Why do astrology enthusiasts hold people to such a high standard of open-mindedness?

I'm not looking for a circle-jerk where we all just go "well, who cares what an astrology enthusiast has to say about anything"

I also want to understand why so many people seemed to have loved this tweet:
[Image: what-a-take-v0-7zxj2eigpw5a1.png?auto=we...8d26c46089]
RE: Is it cringy to point out that astrology is fake?
(August 7, 2023 at 3:21 am)Sicnoo0 Wrote: I genuinely want to understand the point of view of the person who made the meme where the astrology enthusiast gives the astrology skeptic a sarcastic thumbs-up.

I can't decide if i like astrology...I'm a Gemini.
Are you saying that's what the meme maker was trying to convey? If not, do you have a guess as to what their intended message is?
The problem, as I see it, is that astrology is a fake. It's like palm-reading, phrenology, crystal ball gazing, etc.
(August 7, 2023 at 4:20 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The problem, as I see it, is that astrology is a fake. It's like palm-reading, phrenology, crystal ball gazing, etc.

But why do some people roll their eyes if you point out that it's fake? 
I've noticed a lot of people have hopped on the bandwagon of defending astrology and I'm trying to understand why.
Why do they act so condescending towards the skeptics? What is the skeptic doing wrong, in the eyes of the astrology enthusiasts?
I want to re-iterate that I don't want this to be a circle-jerk where we all just agree that astrology is fake. I already know that we're all gonna agree on that. The reason behind my question is that I want to understand the point of view of the astrology enthusiast that made that meme
(August 7, 2023 at 4:26 am)Sicnoo0 Wrote:
(August 7, 2023 at 4:20 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: The problem, as I see it, is that astrology is a fake. It's like palm-reading, phrenology, crystal ball gazing, etc.

But why do some people roll their eyes if you point out that it's fake? 
I've noticed a lot of people have hopped on the bandwagon of defending astrology and I'm trying to understand why.
Why do they act so condescending towards the skeptics? What is the skeptic doing wrong, in the eyes of the astrology enthusiasts?

It's defensiveness and the "true believer" syndrome.
And you really shouldn't give a fuck what the true believer thinks. They have a problem, not you.
I want to know how they think astrology works, do they think the gravity of Jupiter can affect a new born (why not the gravity of a car driving past?) I was born under the sign of a Ford Transit van!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

It's NEVER cringey to point out that astrology is fake. It's a fucking moral imperative.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 7, 2023 at 4:42 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I want to know how they think astrology works, do they think the gravity of Jupiter can affect a new born (why not the gravity of a car driving past?)  I was born under the sign of a Ford Transit van!
Look up "mental illness". True Believers will never accept contrary evidence. That's their problem.

Looking up "concern troll definition" would also be helpful.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you believe in astrology? Porcupine 30 5003 December 12, 2022 at 8:59 am
Last Post: nathan5
  Astrology: What's your Thoughts? RiddledWithFear 53 6873 December 7, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Astrology challange. purplepurpose 192 38954 December 6, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Astrology? IAOALGIV 375 39764 January 16, 2016 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Would we currently be at this point of civilization without religions? strawberryBacteria 29 6576 November 11, 2015 at 10:11 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Astrology proven to be scientific (according to M. Adams) L.A.F. 7 4013 May 6, 2013 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  Bombay High Court Rules Astrology To Be a Science Jaysyn 16 5609 February 15, 2011 at 5:14 am
Last Post: D.S.M.